ARCHIVED Bim's Mummy Summoner guide
THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN FOR AN EARLIER VERSION OF CRAWL, AND IS NO LONGER RELIABLE. TO HAVE IT REMOVED FROM THE ARCHIVES, PLEASE UPDATE IT FOR THE CURRENT VERSION.
Playing as a Mummy is often seen as one of the hardest races to play, especially after the ability to scum was taken away. However, as a Necro-summoner it becomes slightly easier. But relies on you finding a few things and playing very slowly and carefully. I found starting off as a Summoner was easiest, but both sort of work the same way.
- You need a ring of magical power. The only thing you need for summoning is plenty of MP!
- Fire resistance is an absolute must, all the time. Even when you don't think you'll be around fire.
- Wands, and lots of them!
- A good weapon of any kind, preferably of protection/resistances. You won't be fighting a lot!
- Work on getting good armor, spend money on enchant Armour!
You will want these turned on throughout:
- Spellcasting - For more spell slots, spell power and MP.
- Fighting - For more HP
1) Summon absolutely all the time. Never stop summoning. You have absolutely no food cost to worry about so just move very slowly (don't auto explore except after the level is pretty much cleared).
2) Don't fight unless you have too, or at least not until you get to a high enough level/fancy enough weapon.
3) Necromancy gets a boost at lv.13, so start training that around then if you havn't already.
4) Whenever you have free xp, find somewhere quiet and summon until its gone.
As you have no food clock, go for the best ones you can manage but BEWARE OF HOSTILE SUMMONS. I find it best to summon one or two lots of small mammals just so you can escape through them if necessary.
As you don't need to eat, resurrect everything (even rats!) and use them to supplement your summons. My favourite trick is to lead anything too difficult upstairs (carefully though) into a large resurrected army.
Sif Muna is the god of choice, as you can basically get free mp and some good spell books. Kikubaaqudgha can be useful for the corpse delivery service, but without the free mp he becomes less useful. Cheibriados Is also useful for the stat boosts, and seen as you'll be summoning a lot, you don't need to be running off as much!
- Scum as much as possible and don't stop summoning! Beware Out-of-depth monsters.
- Don't hold back on going overkill with summons, stay near stairs and just summon and shout!
- As you get further down you'll need to vary your tactics and go very slowly to survive. Remember that dispel undead REALLY HURTS, so be careful and always look up monsters that you're not sure about.
- Wands and scrolls are more useful than ever, use them carefully.
- Train fighting up mid way to get more HP, also try and switch to heavier (not reallllly heavy) armor once you've got all your spells up!
- You will need additional spells, especially Ocu's amour and blink.