|This wonderful scroll causes the creation of a valuable item to appear before the reader. It is especially treasured by specialist magicians, as they can use it to obtain the powerful spells of their specialty.|
When read, a scroll of acquirement gives the lucky adventurer a choice of item categories, then creates a valuable item of that category at their feet. The degree of control over the prize is limited, which often leads to disappointment and acquirement remorse syndrome ("I knew I should have asked for a book instead of armour").
Items received via acquirement are never cursed, unless the player worships Ashenzari (in which case they are always cursed). It is however possible for the acquired item to curse itself every time it is equipped.
You receive a branded, randart, or even possibly unrandart melee or ranged weapon that usually belongs to the weapon schools you are skilled in. It helps if you are skilled only with weapons you really want to use in combat. There is a small chance of obtaining a randart named after your character!
You receive a good or randart piece of armour or shield, with a small chance of an unrandart. The creation process does consider your skills and even mutations, but the item is not guaranteed to be useful for you. It will, however, be one you are capable of wearing.
You receive a random piece of jewellery, sometimes a randart. The game will try to give you something you haven't identified yet but that's not guaranteed. The chance for a randart is flat and doesn't depend on the amount of jewellery you have identified.
You receive a book you don't yet have. Book acquirement doesn't give manuals to spellcasters anymore.
You receive a magical staff or rod based on the following conditions:
- If your best magical skill is Fire Magic, Ice Magic, Air Magic, Earth Magic, Poison Magic, Conjurations, Necromancy, Summonings or Enchantment, you receive the matching staff.
- If your best magical skill is Evocations, you will likely (75%) receive a random rod.
- Otherwise you receive a staff of wizardy, channeling, power, or energy (i.e. your best skill is Spellcasting).
- If you already are carrying your best skill's staff, or your best magical skill is Invocations, you will receive a random staff.
- Note that in 0.10, staff acquirement has been changed to be more random.
You receive a random wand, with a greater chance of receiving a wand you haven't identified yet or a powerful wand (e.g. hasting, heal wounds, teleportation, invisibility, etc.).
Worshippers of Fedhas receive fruit. Ghouls receive chunks of flesh. Vampires receive potions of blood. All other characters receive some rations, honeycombs, or royal jellies. Nothing you will really miss unless starving or in dire need to restore your stats.
Felids can only choose between: Jewellery, Book, Miscellaneous, Food, and Gold.