| Once a king infamous for waging bloodthirsty campaigns, Asterion was transformed into a horrible minotaur by the curse of a clever wizard-for-hire. Shunned and exiled from his land, he now wanders the dungeon clothed in tattered finery, hoping to establish a new kingdom in its depths by any means necessary.|
“The fact is that I am unique. What a man can pass unto others does not interest me; like the philosopher, I think nothing is communicated by the art of writing. Annoying and trivial minutiae have no place in my spirit, a spirit which is receptive only to whatsoever is grand.”
Asterion is an extremely dangerous unique minotaur, often generated with a demon blade, demon whip, or demon trident. A worshiper of Makhleb, he is capable of launching a variety of powerful elemental attacks against you at range, and he hits astonishingly hard in melee, even before hasting himself and conjuring a spectral weapon to his aid.
Tips & Tricks
- His Major Destruction ability allows him to hit you with the following spells: Bolt of Fire, Lightning Bolt, Sticky Flame, Iron Shot, Bolt of Draining, Fireball, and Orb of Electrocution. It's unlikely that you'll have resistance to all of these elements, but even so, it is far better to try to quickly kill him at range than to allow him into melee. With the aid of his Haste and Spectral Weapon spells, he can deal extraordinary amounts of damage very quickly, particularly when you consider how early in the game he appears.
- If you do decide to fight him in melee, use hallways and chokepoints to avoid letting the spectral weapon reach you. On that same point, if you have area of effect spells, attacking both Asterion and his weapon will significantly increase your damage output against him, as the weapon shares damage with its caster.
- He has sufficient MR and HD to make most debilitating effects chancy at best. Dedicated Hexes specialists can likely afflict him with a variety of status effects, but others are unlikely to get much use out of such abilities.
- He is vulnerable to silver and holy damage (but not weapons of holy wrath). While holy damage is unlikely to be available, ranged weapons users with silver ammunition can deal very heavy damage to him, likely taking him down before he gets close enough to be a threat.
- He doesn't need very many turns to kill poorly armoured characters. Err on the side of paranoia when it comes to fleeing a fight before it has a chance to get ugly.
Asterion will be added in 0.14.