| A long, light tube, open at both ends, through which various types of needles are propelled by puffs of breath at enemies. It makes very little noise.
"Along the Upper Caiary-Uaupes blow-guns are made from the stems of a variety of palm (Iriartea setigea Martius)... The Indian selects two stems of such sizes that the smaller will exactly fit within the larger. After these stems have been carefully dried and the pith cleared out with a long rod, the bore is made smooth by drawing back and forth through it a little bunch of tree-fern roots. The smaller stem is then inserted in the larger, so that one will serve to correct any crookedness that may exist in the other. The wooden mouth-piece is then fitted to one end, and about three and one half feet from it, a boar's tooth is fastened on the gun by some gummy substance, for a sight. Over the outside the maker winds spirally a strip of the dark shiny bark of a creeper which gives it an ornamental finish, and his blow-gun is complete."
A blowgun is a simple ranged weapon whose use is governed by the Throwing skill. It is a long, light tube, open at both ends. It is not intended to cause much damage; its main use is to fire branded needles from afar, inflicting a wide variety of status effects.
It is the only ranged weapon capable of being fired while trapped in a throwing net.
Tips and Tricks
- Training more throwing skill or improving the enchantment level of your blowgun will help apply your effects more reliably and to make poison needles do more damage.
- Blowguns can be useful against insects, many of which are poison vulnerable.
- Because the poison effect stacks on itself, you must be applying the poison effect as consistently as possible before the stacks dissipate.
- Needles of sleeping, paralysis, and confusion will help you set up stabs from relative safety. This is of particular interest for stabbers encountering foes resistant against Ensorcelled Hibernation.
- Curare-tipped needles will apply poison, slow the enemy, and leave them short of breath. Monsters that rely on breath attacks will also be unable to use them for a brief time.
- Blowguns will be removed in 0.24.
- Prior to 0.19, it was possible to find artefact blowguns and branded blowguns of speed, protection, or evasion.
- Prior to 0.18, the effects of poison needles did not scale with throwing skill and weapon enchantment, making them a lot stronger in the early dungeon
|Axes||Battleaxe • Broad axe • Executioner's axe • Hand axe • War axe|
|Bows||Shortbow (Arrow) • Longbow (Arrow)|
|Crossbows||Arbalest (Bolt) • Hand crossbow (Bolt) • Triple crossbow (Bolt)|
|Maces & Flails||Club • Demon whip • Dire flail • Eveningstar • Flail • Giant club • Giant spiked club • Great mace • Mace • Morningstar • Sacred scourge • Whip|
|Long Blades||Demon blade • Double sword • Eudemon blade • Falchion • Great sword • Long sword • Scimitar • Triple sword|
|Polearms||Bardiche • Demon trident • Glaive • Halberd • Scythe • Spear • Trident • Trishula|
|Short Blades||Dagger • Quick blade • Rapier • Short sword|
|Slings||Fustibalus (Sling bullet, Stone) • Hunting sling (Sling bullet, Stone)|
|Staves||Lajatang • Magical staff • Quarterstaff|
|Throwing||Boomerang • Dart • Javelin • Large rock • Stone • Throwing net|