|An ancient and powerful lich. Like all true liches, Boris is immortal, and will regenerate his desiccated skeletal remains even if completely disintegrated.|
Boris is a unique lich armed with a variety of powerful Conjurations. Unlike most uniques, he cannot be permanently killed; after you kill him, there is a chance that he will be generated at full strength on any new floor you explore. Although arguably less deadly than ordinary liches and ancient liches, he generates early enough to be a serious threat.
- The Dungeon:20-27
- The Swamp:5
- The Snake Pit:5
- The Shoals:5
- The Spider's Nest:5
- The Vaults:2-5
- The Crypt
- The Hall of Blades
- The Tomb
Tips & Tricks
- Boris is capable of one- or two-shotting careless characters. If you aren't confident you can handle him, run.
- Spellcasters should keep their distance (at least 6 squares to avoid Iron Shot, 7 to avoid Bolt of Draining, and 8 to avoid Bolt of Cold), Haste themselves, and use their longest range spells. He can't Haste himself, thankfully, and a concentrated heavy attack can take him down quickly.
- Blink in a different direction or summon some meat shields if Boris uses Orb of Destruction. If an Orb of Destruction hits another orb, it will create a small explosion; this means you can "cancel" Boris' orb with your own, but make sure to do this from a distance or you'll just catch yourself in the explosion. Be warned that this will make a lot of noise.
- Melee fighters should get into melee range with him as quickly as possible. His melee skills, even with his draining brand, are not that dangerous, and being at point blank range with him reduces the power of his Orb of Destruction immensely. Use a scroll of blinking or lure him around a corner to avoid making a very painful charge.
- Boris will not reappear on another level until he is killed. Thus, if you want to avoid encountering him again and again, just leave him where he is and he won't bother you again until you return to his floor. He will also be forever defeated if you kill him after exploring every area he can possibly generate in.
- He lacks any summoning or area-of-effect spells, meaning that your own high-level summons should be able to bring him down. In addition, your summons will shield you from Iron Shot and Orb of Destruction.
- Although never explicitly stated in game, examination of flavour text reveals that he once had a powerful artefact dagger called Morg and a familiar named Natasha. Reuniting him with his lost possessions doesn't have any special effect, however.