Box of beasts
| A box filled with the bizarre leftovers of a depraved wizard's magical experimentations. Opening it might set loose a friendly mutant beast: bizarre creatures, each with their own combination of traits. Increased skill with Evocations will allow stronger beasts to be released. There is a one in three chance of accidentally destroying the box when using it.
A box of beasts is a miscellaneous magic item which can summon an irregular, albeit friendly, monster, classified generally as a mutant beast. It has a 1/3 chance of destruction after every use (regardless of Evocations skill).
A mutant beast usually combines two random traits/facets:
- Bat: flying, fast, batty.
- Sting: reach/poison, rPois.
- Fire: fire breath, rF.
- Weird: constrict, sInv.
- Shock: rElec, blinkbolt.
- Ox: trample, rC, +5 AC.
Each beast also has one of five tiers, corresponding to HD and melee attack damage.
- Larval (HD 3) (12 damage)
- Juvenile (HD 9) (19 damage)
- Mature (HD 15) (26 damage)
- Elder (HD 21) (33 damage)
- Primal (HD 27) (40 damage)
(Evocations skill + 1d7 - 1d7), rounded up to the nearest tier & capped at 27.
- Prior to 0.19, boxes of beasts didn't stack.
- Prior to 0.17, a Box of Beasts would instead summon a chimera.
- In 0.16, Box of Beasts became considerably stronger than before.
- Prior to 0.13 this item summoned individual (non-chimera) monsters.
- Prior to 0.9, it appeared as a small ebony casket while unidentified.