|A charred skull floating in the air and rotating slowly. Mystic symbols are carved into its blackened surface.|
Curse skulls are powerful undead monsters which resist almost everything, summon swarms of undead allies, and torment you repeatedly. They never move while you're within line of sight, but will quickly position themselves in irritatingly out-of-reach places whenever you flee. They can be found in the Crypt.
Tips & Tricks
- Their high AC, elemental resistances, and evasive behavior make them more difficult to kill than you might expect.
- Casters with Dispel Undead can destroy them in a couple shots once they get within range, though their tendency to summon allies coupled with their habit of appearing at the very edge of your line of sight makes reaching them difficult. Several Earth Magic and pure Conjurations spells also work fairly well, though the undead allies often get in the way of Orb of Destruction. If you have to rely on elemental magic, Fire Storm will take them down very rapidly, but Ice Storm may have difficulty targeting them once they get their undead allies in place. Air elementalists are mostly out of luck; they ignore electricity damage, and even though they fly, their AC makes Airstrike much less effective than you might hope.
- Melee fighters with holy wrath weapons can take them down quickly, and vorpal weapons are your best bet when that's not an option. Due to the way AC damage reduction works, killing them in melee will take somewhat longer for short blades specialists than for heavy two-handed weapon-wielders. Also, unless torment's not an issue, consider using a scroll of blinking to immediately get into melee range with them.
- They've only got 3 EV. Iron Shot is extremely effective against them, hitting at very long range and cutting right through any allies.
- Curse skulls are immune to Silence, so you can't simply disable their ability to cast spells.
Prior to 0.13, curse skulls had significantly higher HP and AC.