Version 0.12: This article is up to date for the latest stable release of Crawl.
|| This is a tall and powerful Elven species who advance in levels slowly, requiring half again as much experience as Humans. They have good intelligence and dexterity, but suffer in strength. Compared with Humans, they have fewer HP but more magic. Among all Elves, they are best with blades and bows. They are not very good with necromancy or with earth or poison magic, but are highly skilled with most other forms of magic.
- High Elves gain a bonus when using elven weapons and armour. For High Elves, elven armour impedes spellcasting less than other armours and improves their effective Armour skill. They are slightly more accurate with elven weapons.
- High elves get an Intelligence or Dexterity (equal chance) increase every 3 levels starting at level 3.
- High elves have 10% less HP than average.
- High elves have 20% more MP than average.
- High elves gain 4 magic resistance per level.
Difficulty of play
High Elves are a rather easy species to play, because of good aptitudes in most combat and magic related skills, a large mana pool, very good attributes, and a small bonus when using elven equipment. However, they are third only to Demigods and Demonspawn as slowest levelers.
The higher the value, the better the aptitude.