Most species can equip one amulet and two rings, although octopodes are able to wear eight rings at a time. Wearers of the unrandart macabre finger necklace can wear an extra ring. Worshippers of Ru who have sacrificed a hand have one less ring slot than normal. Some bad forms restrict your jewellery options. Rings and amulets are equipped with the P key and removed with the R key. You cannot change your jewellery while berserk.
One important quality of jewellery is that it can be changed very quickly. It only requires 1 turn to remove a ring or amulet and equip another (specifically, 0.5 turns for each individual action). In contrast, removing and equipping another piece of armour requires 10 turns (or 5 turns for each individual action), making it far less versatile.
That being said, it is wise to keep extra pieces of jewellery in your inventory for situational encounters, such as a ring of resist corrosion for a monster with acidic attacks, or a ring that offers an elemental resistance versus a specific monster.
Note, however, that several amulets have properties that should make you think twice before swapping:
- An amulet of faith decreases your piety by one third when removed.
- An amulet of guardian spirit depletes all your MP when put on.
- The effect from an amulet of the gourmand increases gradually over time.
- An amulet of harm drains you when removed.
- An amulet of regeneration or amulet of the acrobat only activates once your HP is full, meaning that you can't swap them on between or during fights to gain their benefits.
- Similarly, an amulet of magic regeneration only activates when your MP is full.
Jewellery is sometimes cursed, most often when it has a negative effect. This makes trying on unidentified jewellery without a scroll of remove curse somewhat risky.
Otherwise unidentified jewellery has a 2% chance of being cursed.
|Amulets||Acrobat • Faith • Guardian spirit • Gourmand • Harm • Inaccuracy • Magic regeneration • Rage • Reflection • Regeneration|
|Rings||Attention • Dexterity • Evasion • Fire • Flight • Ice • Intelligence • Magical power • Poison resistance • Positive energy • Protection • Protection from cold • Protection from fire • Protection from magic • Resist corrosion • See invisible • Slaying • Stealth • Strength • Teleportation • Wizardry|