Version 0.29: This article is up to date for the latest stable release of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
|Attack1|| 20 (hit: plain)
|Uses|| Weapons & armour|
|A dwarven magician, particularly well-attuned to the dungeon around him. He wields powerful earth magic in combat.|
Jorgrun Earthshaker is a unique dwarven Earth Elementalist. He wields a staff of earth (33%) or a vorpal quarterstaff (66%).
- The Dungeon:12-15
- The Orcish Mines
- The Elven Halls:1-2
- The Snake Pit:1-3
- The Spider's Nest:1-3
- The Shoals:1-3
- The Swamp:1-3
|Spell set I|
|Slot1||Lee's Rapid Deconstruction||Wizard flag|
|Slot2||Grasping Roots||Wizard flag|
|Slot4||Iron Shot (3d28)||Wizard flag|
Tips & Tricks
- Avoid him if you have low willpower. Petrify is his most dangerous weapon, as it makes Lee's Rapid Destruction phenomenally powerful against you. If he does manage to tag you with Petrify, immediately read a scroll of teleportation; you might end up someplace dangerous, but chances are nothing else you run into will be able to hurt your petrified body quite as badly as Jorgrun.
- As a melee character, Silence him. As a caster, a well placed curare dart can make the difference. A phial of floods will also disable his spellcasting entirely.
- Quaffing a potion of cancellation before you turn fully to stone is another option for negating his Petrify spell, though he may just cast it again a turn later.
- Followers of certain gods may be able to take care of the petrification in other ways. Elyvilon and Ru give worshipers the Purification and Draw Out Power abilities, respectively, while Zin's Vitalisation grants complete protection from petrification.
- In a pinch, Yara's Violent Unravelling or a wand of quicksilver can both remove petrification (though using them on yourself is quite painful).
- Gargoyles and players in Ice Form or Statue Form are innately vulnerable to LRD. Transmuters should avoid using Ice or Statue Form against him, and gargoyles should consider avoiding the fight entirely. If you do choose to fight, be prepared to use a scroll of blinking and/or teleportation if you take too much damage.
- Users of the Simulacrum spell should mind the possibility of their own allies being detonated in 3x3, high-damage icy blasts with LRD. It’s no reason to not use them, as Jorgrun will hesitate to blow himself up if your simulacra reach him in melee, but it’s something to be careful of while generating your allies in the first place.
- Low-AC characters should stay away from walls while you're fighting him, as LRD can deal heavy damage with shrapnel even if you're not petrified. Even heavily armoured characters may wish to stay away from walls made of crystal or metal during the fight.
- Prior to 0.23, Jorgrun could not spawn in Swamp. 0.23 also added Grasping Roots to his spell list.
- Prior to 0.22, Jorgrun had Shatter in place of Iron Shot, and spawned significantly later.
- Prior to 0.17, Jorgrun was a deep dwarf and could not regenerate.
- In 0.15, his glyph was changed from 'q' to 'g'.
- Jorgrun was added in 0.12.