|A formidable necromancer, committed to her craft even after it left her aged, decaying, and half-undead herself.|
Josephine the Decaying Necromancer is a unique evil necromancer with some nasty spells in her repertoire. She can drain your HP to heal herself and blast both living and undead characters with ease. She typically wields a branded dagger and spawns with a pack of wraiths.
- The Dungeon:10-15
- The Orcish Mines:2-4
- The Lair:4-6
- The Swamp:1
- The Shoals:1
- The Snake Pit:1
- The Spider's Nest:1
Tips & Tricks
- If you encounter multiple wraiths on an otherwise normal floor, you've likely found Josephine. Fortunately, wraiths make no noise, letting you wait for them to wake up and start coming after you without alerting their master. If you lure them away and kill them in another room, that'll make the fight with Josephine significantly easier, as Josephine is fairly dangerous even without being slowed and surrounded.
- None of Josephine's spells can miss, and only Ghostly Fireball is reduced by AC; the only real defense against her magic is to pile on whatever sources of negative energy resistance you have. If you can reach rN+++, though, Josephine's no more dangerous than an old lady with a knife.
- Because Josephine herself is immune to negative energy, she won't hesitate to use Ghostly Fireball in melee range.
- Undead characters should try to take her down quickly; while you can safely ignore her other spells, the irresistible damage from Dispel Undead Range will tear you apart with frightening speed. She needs a clear line of fire to hit you with it, however, so summoned allies can help here.
- Like many spellcasters, Josephine is far less dangerous when silenced.