|A gargantuan sea monster, capable of devouring entire ships. It embraces them with its tentacles, and draws them into the depths. Fortunately, the tentacles are too big to embrace a small creature like you. Wait, did I say "fortunately"?|
Krakens are enormous octopuses found in the Shoals. Although waterbound, they reach out toward you with up to 4 tentacles (w). Their damage output is tremendous, especially if you allow more than one tentacle to reach you at once. Keep your distance and take advantage of their inability to follow you very far on land. If you encounter them while in water, escape may prove difficult; their tentacles move faster than any base species.
Tips & Tricks
- Unless you are built for nothing but melee combat, avoid engaging the tentacles directly. Ranged attacks will keep you from becoming splattered on the beach.
- Damage dealt to the tentacles counts toward killing the kraken, which is nice since they often make approaching the body itself difficult. Just remember that it will flee when severely injured, so you may need some long-range attacks to finish it off.
- A kraken's tentacles can extend multiple squares out of the water. This means that if a kraken's head is in line of sight, it can probably reach you.
- Kraken lack poison resistance, so they can be whittled down with darts or needles. A better option is Poisonous Cloud, which will poison the Kraken and tentacles simultaneously. Other cloud spells can also help.
- Krakens have an EV of 0. Bolt of Inaccuracy is your friend, if you have it.