Lee's Rapid Deconstruction
| This spell fragments a wall into an explosion of deadly shrapnel. It can also be used directly on monsters made of ice, bone, or any wall-like substance, as well as those turned to stone by petrification.
Targets made from rock, stone, ice or bone will cause a small or medium-sized explosion. Metal targets will cause a small but particularly damaging explosion, and targets made from crystal will cause a large and extremely damaging explosion.
Lee's Rapid Deconstruction (or LRD) is a level 5 Earth Magic spell which causes walls and some monsters to explode into a cloud of shrapnel, tearing up nearby enemies and potentially destroying the targeted wall or monster. It has smite-targeting, and is exceptional in that it allows you to attack enemies hidden from your field of vision.
If the target is a creature, its potential susceptibility is dependent on its composition. Only hard or brittle creatures may be targeted directly. These include
- Monsters made of bone: generic skeletons, skeletal warriors, bone dragons, flying skulls, curse skulls, Murray
- Bone creatures may be killed outright (chance based on spell power).
- Monsters made of rock and stone: stone golems, earth elementals, gargolyes, Roxanne.
- Monsters made of ice: ice beasts, ice statues, simulacra, but not ice devils or ice fiends.
- Ice creatures produce cold damage explosions.
- Monsters made of crystal: orange crystal statues, crystal golems.
- Monsters made of metal: iron golems, iron elementals, metal gargoyles, silver statues, but not iron imps, iron devils, or iron dragons.
- Miscellaneous hard monsters: toenail golems, clay golems.
- Monsters or players that have been petrified. A creature still in the process of petrifying takes somewhat less damage.
- Players in Statue Form or Ice Form.
While Dig only works on rock walls and transparent rock walls, LRD can destroy harder materials, although digging as such requires much more time and energy. Different materials require different minimum spell powers to be destroyed:
|Material||Min Spell Power||Success Rate|
|Door (open, closed, secret)||0||100%|
|Iron grate, granite statue, orcish idol||0||100%|
|Rock, transparent rock||40||33%|
|Stone, transparent stone||60||10%|
|Metal||80||3% to 4%|
Assuming the target was a viable wall or Dungeon feature, the spell then causes an explosion of shrapnel against everything in its range (including yourself!). The range of this explosion varies based on target and your spell power. Viable monsters hit by LRD will create a similar burst of shrapnel with range and damage determined by spell power as well as the monster's material and size.
This attack is similar to casting Sandblast against all monsters in range with perfect accuracy; it deals moderate physical damage, but the target's AC is counted against it thrice. This makes it excellent for wiping out packs of unarmoured or high-EV opponents, such as kobold vaults and swarms of killer bees, but less effective against orc warriors or other creatures with high AC. Also, because it attacks everything within range of the targeted object, you can cast it on a wall to blast anything lurking on the other side that you don't want to face directly (oklob plants).
Casting this spell on a dungeon feature (like a wall or a door), generates an explosion that inflicts Nd(5+Power/5) to any monster within the radius. The radius and the number of rolls (N) can be found in the table below.
If the target is a monster, it is directly damaged for Nd(5+Power/5). After this is done, the explosion is generated. If the targeted monster is killed by the spell, the N of the resulting explosion is the one used in the beam of disintegration plus two.
The damage done by the explosion is reduced by AC 3 times, but the damage done to a monster directly targeted by LRD ignores AC. If the target is made of ice (simulacra), the beam type of the explosion is changed from BEAM_FRAG to BEAM_ICE: this kind of explosion only suffers normal AC reduction, but the damage can be resisted with cold resistance.
Statues and skeletal monsters always have a Power/250 chance of dying instantly when targeted directly.
Radius and Number of Dice
|Iron golems and metal gargoyles||1||4|
|Earth elementals, clay golems, stone golems, statues, and gargoyles||2||3|
|Silver statues, orange crystal statues, Roxanne||2||4|
|Petrifying monsters or players||1||2|
|Petrified monsters or players||2||3|
|Rock walls, stone walls, granite statues||1 or 2||3|
|Metal walls, iron grates||1 or 2||4|
|Green crystal walls||2 or 3||4|
|Doors, stone arches||1||2|
Tips & Tricks
- Followers of the Shining One must be careful when using this spell. Hitting an unseen sleeping monster hiding behind the wall you target can earn you swift penance.
- Should your target not be directly susceptible to LRD, nor near a wall, use Petrify to make it susceptible.
- Keep in mind that LRD makes lots of noise, so anything nearby will wake up and come investigate.
Prior to 0.10, LRD could be cast on an unnaturally hard rock wall to damage monsters on the other side. After 0.10, monsters will not be damaged if the wall is not capable of being shattered under any circumstances.