| Banished to the chaotic realm of the Abyss, Lugonu the Unformed seeks followers to spread bloodshed and corruption in the overworld. Those who gain Lugonu's favour will be granted some of the power of the Abyss itself, allowing them to call forth eldritch horrors, and even to travel between the overworld and the Abyss at will.
Followers of Lugonu gain powers to depart the Abyss at will, to bend space around themselves, and to banish monsters to the Abyss. Later they will be able to corrupt the ordered world, opening a gate for creatures of the Abyss to pass through, and to gate themselves directly into this realm of chaos. Lugonu will eventually offer to corrupt a follower's weapon, imbuing it with the distorting energies of the Abyss, and will protect the follower from the normally harmful effects of unwielding such a weapon. Lugonu expects followers to spread unceasing chaos in the overworld, and as such does not grant piety to worshippers while they remain in the Abyss itself.
Lugonu likes it when you banish creatures to the Abyss, you sacrifice fresh corpses (by standing over them and praying), you or your allies kill living beings, you or your allies kill the undead, you or your allies kill demons and you or your allies kill holy beings.
Abyssal Knights begin play worshiping Lugonu.
- Killing or having an ally kill a living, holy, undead, or demonic creature. (67% chance of +1 Piety; higher chance for creatures with high HD, lower as your your experience level rises). You cannot receive piety for killing anything in the Abyss.
- Banishing any kind of creature (67% chance of +1 Piety; higher chance for creatures with high HD, lower as your your experience level rises).
- Offering a fresh corpse by praying while standing over it. (40% chance of +1 Piety, better odds for creatures with high HD)
- Inactivity: You lose 1 piety every 320 turns or so
Piety level -: "Abyss-Baptised"
- You may unwield distortion branded weapons without suffering any of the normal ill effects. (Passive)
Piety level *: "Unweaver"
- Depart the Abyss - You can immediately leave the Abyss, returning to the point you initially entered the Abyss from. (Costs 1 MP, 150-300 Food, and 10-15 Piety)
Piety level **: "Distorting [Species Name]"
- Bend Space - You can perform uncontrolled blinks at will, with a chance of causing adjacent monsters to blink as well. All affected targets that fail a coinflip check take damage (Max: 1d6 HP). The chance of affecting adjacent monsters, as well as the damage dealt, increases with Invocations. This blink cannot be controlled in any way, ignores stasis, and can't be blocked by the power of the Abyss. (Costs 1 MP, 50-100 Food, and 1d4 HP)
|Invocations||Adjacent Monster Blink Chance|
Piety level ***: "Agent of Entropy"
- Banish - You can zap a beam of banishment, sending a single target to the Abyss. The power of the beam scales with your Invocations skill: min(100, 16 + 8 × Invocations). You receive XP proportional to the percentage of the monster's max HP you had already inflicted as damage on it: 50 + 50×(Damage/MaxHP) percent. Banished uniques and more powerful monsters will appear while exploring the Abyss. Do not use this on the royal jelly unless you have some means of breaking into the stone vaults in its lair. (Costs 4 MP, 200-400 Food, and 3-4 Piety)
Piety level ****: "Schismatic"
- Corrupt - You can corrupt the non-Abyss floor you're on, randomly converting the walls and floors of a large area around you to randomly selected other tiles. Altars may become altars to Lugonu. Stairs and portals cannot be changed, and harder walls are more likely to resist. Unnaturally hard walls are immune to this effect. In addition, a pack of abyssal creatures will be summoned, all of them neutral. The higher your Invocations, the higher the amount of monsters. You may only corrupt a floor once. (Costs 7 MP, 5 HP, 500-1000 Food, and 10-14 Piety)
Piety level *****: "Envoy of Void"
- Gate yourself to the Abyss - You can instantly banish yourself to the Abyss, but at a high price. (Costs a random non-lethal amount of HP, all MP (minimum 9 MP to cast), 500-1000 Food, and 35 Piety)
In addition, Lugonu provides the following:
- Abyssal Rune Attraction - While in the Abyss, the chance of a placed item resulting in an Abyssal rune is normally 5% in Abyss:3, 10% in Abyss:4, and 23% in Abyss:5. For followers of Lugonu, it is 10% in Abyss:3, 23% in Abyss:4 and 50% in Abyss:5. (Passive)
- Corrupt Your Weapon - If you pray on an altar of Lugonu with piety at 160 or more and while wielding a non-artefact weapon which doesn't have the distortion brand, Lugonu will corrupt your weapon. Corrupting a weapon removes curses, applies a scroll of enchant weapon III effect to its enchantment, and adds the distortion brand. This is free, but can only be done once per game. Since the piety cost of travelling to the Abyss may easily take you below 160 Piety, the easiest way to use this ability is by corrupting altars in the main dungeon or entering the Abyss through a portal.
Piety level ******: "Corrupter of Planes"
- No new abilities.
If you leave Lugonu, your penance counter will be increased by 50. Lugonu will not accept you again until your penance counter reaches zero.
While under penance (for leaving him/her), Lugonu will punish you about once every 2,000 turns.
A punishment from Lugonu has two independent components:
- (1) 50%: Random Translocation miscast effect
- (1) 17%: You teleport instantly
- (1) 8%: You randomly blink
- (1) 25%: Nothing
- (2) 1 + experience level/7 hostile tier-3 and 4 demons are summoned to fight you (100% if your experience level is <= 7, less likely as your experience level increases)
- (2) A hostile Balrug, Green Death or Blizzard demon is summoned to fight you
Worshiping Lugonu offers characters some interesting escape options early on. Bend Space is one of the cheapest means of blinking in the game, and the ability to banish insurmountable obstacles to the Abyss is a useful method of insta-killing foes (though overusing it will burn through piety quickly and leave you underleveled).
Altars to Lugonu can only be found in the Abyss, unless the corrupted version of the Ecumenical Temple is generated. You can also create your own altars to Lugonu by using the Corrupt ability on a floor with an altar to another god, but this requires you to already be a follower. Because of this, being an Abyssal Knight is the only way to guarantee yourself access to Lugonu in the early game.
Prior to 0.14, Lugonu followers received no protection from distortion weapon unwielding effects.
Prior to 0.10, banishing enemies provided no experience, and Lugonu gave no piety for demon kills.
Prior to 0.9, followers of Lugonu had better blinking in the Abyss.
In early versions of Crawl, Lugonu was known as Lucy, but the name was changed to make the god more androgynous.