Makhleb the Destroyer is the god of bloodshed and mortification of the flesh, as well as the god of hell. Followers must constantly appease Makhleb with carnage, but stand to gain various powers of death and destruction, including the servitude of demonic monsters. The Destroyer appreciates blood sacrifices in the form of fresh corpses.
Makhleb is considered an evil god.
No background starts with this religion.
Demigods may not worship Makhleb (or any other deity).
- You or your allies killing living, undead, holy, or demonic beings (67% or more chance of +1 piety)
- Sacrificing corpses by standing over them and praying. Makhleb only accepts fresh corpses, not rotting corpses, skeletons, or chunks. However, it is not necessary to be the one who actually killed the creature. (70% chance of +1 Piety).
- Inactivity (lose 1 piety roughly every 320 turns)
- Abandoning him/her. Your penance counter will be set to 25, and you'll immediately suffer a random Conjurations or Summonings miscast effect.
Piety level -: "Spawn of Chaos"
- No abilities.
Piety level *: "Disciple of Annihilation"
- Gain Health From Killing - When you kill a monster, gain health based on the hit dice of the killed monster. Has a (piety - 30)/200 chance of happening. (Passive)
Piety level **: "Fanfare of Bloodshed"
- Minor Destruction - Hurl a beam of random destructive energy (flame, lightning, acid, pain or stone arrow). Damage and accuracy are based on your Invocations skill. (Costs 1 HP and 20-40 Food)
Piety level ***: "Fiendish"
- Lesser Servant of Makhleb - Summons a neqoxec, orange demon, smoke demon, hellwing, or ynoxinul for a short time (an Abjuration duration between 2 and 6, with Invocations increasing the likelihood of achieving the maximum duration). There is a small risk the demon will spawn hostile (4/(20 + 3*Invocations): 20% if untrained, 8% at Invocations level 10, and 4% at level 27); otherwise it is charmed. (Costs 4 HP, 50-100 Food, and 1-2 Piety)
Piety level ****: "Demolition [Species Name]"
- Major Destruction - Hurl a large beam of random destructive energy (fire, lightning, sticky flame, iron shot, draining, fireball, or an orb of electricity). Damage and accuracy depend on your Invocations skill. It's roughly 3x as powerful as Minor Destruction. (Costs 6 HP, 100-200 Food, and 0-1 Piety)
Piety level *****: "Pandemonic"
Piety level ******: "Champion of Chaos"
- No new abilities.
Upon desertion, you suffer a Conjurations or Summonings miscast effect. Every so often after that, you'll experience one of the two following events:
- 1d(Experience Level/7) hostile Lesser Servants of Mahkleb are summoned. This is guaranteed to happen if your experience level is 7 or less, and becomes less likely as you gain levels.
- A hostile Greater Servant of Mahkleb is summoned.
Makhleb provides you with significant healing and cheap access to mid-power Conjurations and Summoning, making it an excellent god for melee characters (especially deep dwarf and vampire characters who have issues healing normally). Even so, most characters can benefit from the additional combat tools and HP restoration, and no species is too terrible at using Invocations. Since Makhleb accepts any kill and appreciates blood sacrifice, it is also one of the easiest gods to build piety for.
Try to avoid using the Servant of Mahkleb abilities until you have an Invocations score in the double digits, when the hostility rate is below 8%. Even so, it's best not to rely too highly on demons when you're in extreme danger; even with Abjuration, a single poorly-timed smite can kill a wounded character.
Summoned hellwings can cast Animate Dead, turning corpses into permanent undead slaves for you. Unfortunately, you can't choose the demon you summon, but it's nice when it happens.
- Deep dwarf damage shaving does not reduce the damage from Mahkleb abilities.
Prior to 0.10, his Gain Health From Killing ability could also restore your MP.