Drawing the Mercenary card will immediately generate a durably summoned mercenary which will offer you its services for a fee. The fee is roughly equal to the monster's XP value, plus or minus 15 percent. A hired mercenary will be friendly, but if the player cannot or chooses not to purchase the ally, it will be hostile.
As a durably summoned monster, a mercenary gives no experience, cannot be abjured, never times out, and will not leave a corpse or any equipment behind upon death. However, they increase in strength as they deal the killing blow against enemies, and can grow into a more powerful creature after it gains enough experience. This is the list of possible mercenaries in ascending order of power:
- K Big kobold
- m Merfolk -> grows into Merfolk impaler
- N Naga -> grows into either Naga warrior or Naga mage and then into Greater naga
- H Tengu -> grows into either a Tengu conjurer or Tengu warrior and then into Tengu reaver
- e Deep elf conjurer -> grows into Deep elf annihilator
- o Orc knight -> grows into Orc warlord
- 6 A random base demonspawn
- O Ogre mage
- H Minotaur
- d Draconian -> grows into a random coloured Draconian
- e Deep elf blademaster
High card power increases the chances of getting a stronger mercenary.
This card could be found in the following decks over the past versions, before its removal in 0.19:
Tips & Tricks
- You can match your speed to your slowest ally by pressing CTRL + e. This is helpful for having slower mercenaries keep up with you, such as nagas.
This card became unavailable in the simplification of decks in 0.19.
Prior to 0.15, the list of possible mercenaries, in ascending order of power, was as follows:
- Big kobold
- Orc knight
- Centaur warrior
- Spriggan rider
- Ogre mage
- Random base draconian
- Deep elf blademaster
The Mercenary card was added in 0.11