Mesmerise is a monster-only spell which causes you to find the caster irresistibly fascinating. If the spell beats your magic resistance and you don't have clarity, you will find yourself unable to move in any direction which would place you farther away from the caster, making retreat impossible (including up or down stairs). Fortunately, finding something fascinating does not mean you like it any more than you used to, so you can still attack the caster.
Methods for Breaking Mesmerisation
You can break the enchantment in the following ways:
- Killing the source of the mesmerisation.
- Losing line of sight to the caster (steam and scrolls of fog work well for this, as does walking behind any opaque wall)
- Uncontrolled blinking or teleporting beyond the caster's line of sight (you won't be able to do controlled blinks away)
- Unwielding the unrand artifact Obsidian Axe.
The following methods only work if the source of mesmerisation is not the obsidian axe:
- Polymorphing the source of mesmerisation.
- Disabling the source of mesmerisation (confusion, petrification, fear ...).
- Having enough time pass without the caster renewing the effect. Note that if you are currently mesmerised by a particular monster, you will always fail to resist any attempt at mesmerisation from that monster.
- Reading a scroll of silence or casting Silence, provided the source of mesmerization is within your silence radius.
The following enemies cast Mesmerise:
You can also encounter non-spell Mesmerise effects from the following enemies, as well as any enemy marked for death by the Obsidian Axe: