Psyche

From CrawlWiki
Revision as of 20:27, 14 October 2012 by MoogleDan (talk | contribs) (Updated flavour for 0.11)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Version 0.11: This article may not be up to date for the latest stable release of Crawl.


Psyche @Psyche.png
HP 39
HD 5
XP 371
Speed 13
AC 0
EV 12
MR 26
Attack1 7 (hit: plain)


Type of Meat Contaminated
Resistances None
Vulnerabilities None
Habitat land
Intelligence Normal
Uses Weapons & armour
Holiness Natural
Size Medium
Type human, human
Flags Unique
Spellcaster
Actual spells
Warm-blooded
Speaks
A fair-haired mage, wandering and seemingly half-mad with grief and guilt.

"Let Psyche's corpse be clad in mourning weed
And set on rock of yonder cliff aloft;
Her husband is no wight of human seed,
But serpent dire and fierce, as may be thought,
Who flies with wings above in starry skies,
And doth subdue each thing with fiery flight.
The Gods themselves and powers that seem so wise
With mighty love be subject to his might.
The rivers black and deadly floods of pain
And darkness eke as thrall to him remain."

-Apuleius, _Asinus aureus_, "Cupid and Psyche" circa 160 A.D. William Adlington, Translator, 1566.

Useful Info

Psyche is a fast-moving unique mage. Although her collection of spells is no more dangerous than you'd find on an orc wizard, she is notoriously deadly due to the chaos (75% odds) or distortion (25%) dagger she generates with, often sending careless melee fighters to the Abyss at lethally low levels.

Spells: Throw Frost (3d6), Throw Flame (3d6), Magic Dart (3d4), Haste, Invisibility, Cantrip

Location

Tips & Tricks

  • Fight her at range. If this isn't an option, confuse or paralyze her before engaging her in melee.
  • She occasionally generates with a wand of random effects. How dangerous this may be depends entirely on how lucky her shots are.

Trivia

Psyche is a character from the Greek myth of Eros and Psyche. In this myth, Psyche is a girl who fell in love with Eros, but must complete several impossible tasks before Aphrodite would allow them to be wed.