The Unarmed Combat skill determines the effectiveness of all attacks made with your character's fists (or tentacles in the case of octopodes), increasing the damage, accuracy, and speed of your unarmed attacks. Although there are many non-punch auxiliary attacks you can make with the rest of your body, these are not affected by the UC skill whatsoever. Training this skill is only advisable if you intend to engage in melee while unarmed or while leaving your off-hand empty.
For many species, fighting without a weapon is not a very appealing prospect. Leaving your weapon and/or shield slot open means that you cannot take advantage of weapon brands, miss out on the defensive value of a shield, and have two fewer slots for wielding artifacts that may provide useful resistances or other bonuses. However, unarmed combat allows for some of the fastest attacks in the game, deals competitive damage to weapon wielders at high skill levels, and allows you to take advantage of the many Transmutations spells which grant you powerful unarmed capabilities. Also, some species have natural aptitudes or innate mutations that make unarmed combat a much more tempting choice.
Unarmed combat specialists are capable of making some of the fastest attacks in the game, on par with the speed of most short blades wielders. Couple this with the fact that UC attacks have a much higher base damage than any short blade, and you can see why they're capable of doing very significant amounts of damage very quickly. However, it requires much more Unarmed Combat skill to reach maximum attack speed than it does for a weapon fighter to reach their maximum, and unarmed combat is penalized for wearing heavy armour or carrying too much equipment. Bear in mind that this only applies to main-hand punches; auxiliary offhand punches occur along with your main hand attacks.
Bonuses From Skill
Weapon fighters gain a 1 point reduction to their attack delay for every 2 levels they have in their appropriate weapon skill, allowing them to reach maximum weapon speed by the mid-game in most cases. Unarmed Combat uses a different formula, however; your attack delay is reduced by 1 for roughly every 5.4 skill levels, reaching a delay of 5 at UC skill 27. Fortunately, unarmed combat is also much faster than fighting with most weapons by default, so they still enjoy fairly quick attacks throughout the game.
Characters in bat form receive a special bonus to unarmed combat, making attacks in 60% of the normal time (though at a significant penalty to damage). Other effects that can influence attack speed (such as Haste, Slow, Statue Form, etc.) apply as normal, with a hardcoded limit at 3 which you cannot exceed.
Finally, your attack delay can never be a fraction of an aut. If your calculated speed falls between two whole numbers, the game will round up or down based on the remainder (7.2 would have a 20% chance of being rounded to 8 and an 80% chance of being 7).
|UC||Avg delay||UC||Avg delay||UC||Avg delay|
The base damage of your primary unarmed combat attack is determined through the following factors:
|Bat Form||1||60% Attack Delay|
|Vampire Bat Form||2||60% Attack delay|
|Fungus Form||12||Confusing Touch|
|Blade Hands||12 + (STR + DEX) / 4||-|
|Statue Form||9 + STR / 2||150% attack delay|
|Dragon Form||12 + (2/3) STR||Heavy bleeding|
|Ghoul, Felid||5||Light bleeding|
|Claws mutation||+2 × Claws ranks||Wearing gloves negates this|
Your base damage is then increased by your unarmed combat skill level (divided by 5 when in Bat Form). This base damage is then further modified by your strength, dexterity, Fighting skill, and other factors. A value is randomly selected between 1 and the final calculated damage, and the target's AC is applied against it.
Offhand punches are significantly less powerful, using the following calculation:
|Offhand Punch||5 + (UC / 3) +(1d3 × Claws ranks) or +(6 if Blade Hands)||Wearing any shield negates this|
Octopodes get tentacle slaps instead of offhand punches, and may still make tentacle slaps while wearing a shield, making it generally best for unarmed octopodes to use a shield.
In earlier versions of Crawl, Unarmed Combat improved the performance of your non-punch auxiliary attacks, giving all melee fighters a reason to train it.
In version .16 and .15, the heavy armor penalty was updated to be attk_delay = max(10, 7 + div_rand_round(armour_penalty, DELAY_SCALE)); in other words, if your AEVP was higher than 3, then add AEVP - 3 to your attack delay. An AEVP of 6 would result in 13 aut attacks, which are then reduced by armor skill normally (so with 27 unarmed, it would be 8 aut attack speed).In version .14 and earlier, unarmed combat suffered two additional attack speed penalties that weapons did not: one for heavy armor and one for shields. The heavy armor penalty was
1d10 + 2d(Adjusted armour penalty) - 10and the shield penalty was a 50% chance of adding 1 aut delay regardless of shield skill (separate from the normal shield delay when you don't have enough skill).
Unarmed Combat Aptitudes
|Melee||Short Blades • Long Blades • Axes • Maces & Flails • Polearms • Staves • Unarmed Combat|
|Ranged||Bows • Crossbows • Throwing • Slings|
|Physical||Fighting • Armour • Dodging • Stealth • Shields|
|Magical||Spellcasting • Invocations • Evocations|
|Spell Schools||Air • Charms • Conjurations • Earth • Fire • Hexes • Ice • Necromancy • Poison • Summoning • Translocations • Transmutations|