If you are looking for something to do, check out the Current projects page.
If you have any questions about this wiki you can talk to other editors here. Just remember to sign those posts with four tildes: ~~~~ (or click the signature button).
zOMG BEST ENTRY VAULT EVER
So, I just started up a new game, and about five seconds in, I notice that the Orb of Zot -- the magical world-changing artifact that I was going to have to fight my way through 27 floors plus sidebranches to get, the one that would force me to face incredible odds and nigh-insurmountable challenges, the one supposedly sitting in the bowels of the Realm of Zot -- is sitting practically right outside the entrance, along with three runes (gossamer, demonic, and golden, if anyone's curious). I wish I had a better way of screencapping this (PrintScreen doesn't really work on the console version), but I could at least get a textdump:
################## #................# #...##########...###### #...# ..}....#......... #.<.# .0<}...#@<....... <-- that "0" right in there #...# ..}....#......... #...##########...###### #................# ##################
What. The. Shit.
I mean, yeah, it's inside a stone-walled chamber, so it's not like I'm going to be able to get at it without teleport control and/or a really good Lee's Rapid Deconstruction (I can't just corrupt things because this character's a Demigod), but dang, that potentially makes this the easiest run ever! It's gotta be a mimic, right? There's no way the orb would just be sitting there on D:1... --spudwalt 23:49, 3 March 2013 (CET)
- Heh, yeah, I'm afraid those are all mimics. I've seen a bunch of random "rune" vaults in the middle of the early Dungeon. Tons of out-of-depth monsters locked away behind transparent walls with a random rune in the middle, but it's always fake. --MoogleDan 01:24, 4 March 2013 (CET)
- Yep, they were all mimics, even the staircase. The one mimicking the Orb was a "monstrous" mimic, which I'm not sure we have in the mimic article. It was a nasty little bugger, too. Good thing I blinked out of constriction. --spudwalt 04:09, 4 March 2013 (CET)
- I THOUGHT there was a fourth mimic type... If no one gets around to making one by tomorrow, I'll slap one together when I have the time. --MoogleDan 05:15, 4 March 2013 (CET)
- Okay, I KNOW I've seen the monstrous mimic you're describing, but I can't seem to find any details on it anywhere. I'll keep looking... --MoogleDan 18:26, 4 March 2013 (CET)
Tastes like chicken
So, I was eating a bunch of stuff while wearing an amulet of the gourmand and randomly got this message:
|This raw flesh tastes like chicken!|
The Crawl devs are pretty awesome people. --spudwalt 07:10, 6 March 2013 (CET)
I got an error message on my latest run of crawl (console version 0.11). The message is as follows:
|Lua error: C:/Games/Dungeon Crawl/dat/des/altar/grunt_ashenzari_visionary.des:41: No vault found for tag 'grunt_ashenzari_visionary_shoals'|
I guess there must be an error in generating that Ashenzari vault where he previews the two variable rune branches in the Lair. Anybody know if there's something I'd be able to do about this? --spudwalt 19:58, 20 March 2013 (CET)
Hey spudwalt, have you set up your .rc file with "#TEAMCAPTAIN Flun" at the top of the file? I don't seem to see it in your CAO .rc file. It should look something like this. --Flun 21:45, 7 May 2013 (CEST)
- Did that get it? --spudwalt 22:26, 7 May 2013 (CEST)
- Yep, you are linked now! --Flun 05:07, 8 May 2013 (CEST)
Hey Spudwalt, too bad about that guy you lost to Agnes... I've died to her before. I just watched the recording - I'm not sure if I would have tried to engage her at that XL. I would have put your chances at around 50/50 --Flun 21:05, 17 May 2013 (CEST)
- Mmm, I probably could have managed it if I'd been a bit smarter about fighting her and/or a bit luckier with my swings. I had a scroll of blinking (but didn't use it because I was stupid), so I could have blinked away and pelted her with a wand of fireball. --spudwalt 21:46, 17 May 2013 (CEST)
Online morgue files
Is there a way to access my morgue files online? --spudwalt 19:29, 14 May 2013 (CEST)
- http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/spudwalt.html --Flun 19:44, 14 May 2013 (CEST)
Grats on your latest win! How come only 4 runes? Also I find the golden rune the scariest one to get! --Flun 15:43, 9 July 2013 (CEST)
- Mostly I only went for 4 runes 'cause this is only my second win. I'll try to do more extensive rune runs in the future, but after I prove to myself that I know what I'm doing.
- Taking on the Tomb was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing. I had rRot from one of my demonspawn mutations, Dispel Undead, and max life protection. I figured I could do the Tomb, so long as I was careful, and there were only a couple really dicey moments. --spudwalt 19:07, 9 July 2013 (CEST)
- I was the same way at first; every game I'd stick my toe in one or two more branches just to see how horrifying they actually are : ) Congrats, and good luck on your next! --MoogleDan 21:39, 9 July 2013 (CEST)
You have no idea how grateful I was the day I noticed someone else updating those things :P I think the moment that broke my will to update them was when they started changing Wiglaf's flavour text 4 or 5 times in a couple months. --MoogleDan 15:06, 24 July 2013 (CEST)
- It's not that bad; basically I just double-check things as I go instead of making an entire task out of updating flavor text.
- Still, every now and then you go to check the flavor text of something and suddenly there's a paragraph of impenetrable German staring you in the face. --spudwalt 19:11, 24 July 2013 (CEST)
Most satisfying Sigmund kill ever.
So Sigmund just hit me with a wand of polymorph and turned me into a dragon. Best day ever. --spudwalt 20:59, 26 July 2013 (CEST)
Weapon choice article
Good sir, I just have to say that your Weapon choice article is well done and exceptionally useful. I consider myself a fairly experienced player, but since I'd discovered that article I keep finding myself going back to reference it. The shame is that it's not all that readily findable to the casual wiki browser. How would you feel about having a link to it on the main page, most likely as a sub-bullet to the weapons article? Is that something you and the other contributors here would find acceptable? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would frequently show up to reference it. :) --Buddy23Lee (talk) 23:12, 27 August 2013 (CEST)
- I just realized it was listed under the strategy guides section, so maybe that's good enough. I still think it should be made more prominent, but I don't mean to make things all awkward by suggesting it. Anyway, I guess the main take away here is props for creating a great article I use all the time. :) --Buddy23Lee (talk) 11:59, 28 August 2013 (CEST)
- I added it to the list of articles recommended for beginners in the Walkthrough page. That should get it a little more foot traffic... --MoogleDan (talk) 14:29, 28 August 2013 (CEST)
Thanks, random number gods
So, I just found a vault with a monster called a "master elementalist" at the end (four elemental chambers, one with fire elementals/clouds of fire, one with water elementals/deep water, etc.; each chamber has a door leading to the next one). The master elementalist himself looks like some sort of variant thing (maybe a variant wizard), but I don't think we have him in the wiki yet. Flavor text is as follows: The primal forces of the universe dance at this demented wizard's fingertips. I killed him before he was able to cast any spells, so I don't know what spells he had.