|It inflicts no extra harm, but heals its wielder when it wounds a living foe.|
The vampiric brand (not to be confused with draining) adds a healing effect to your weapon's melee attacks against living monsters (natural holiness) who are not resistant to negative energy. Although it deals no additional damage, its rapid recuperative abilities make it one of the best brands in the game.
In most cases, the brand activates on 60% of your attacks against susceptible opponents, healing you for 1d(Damage) HP. The unrandart demon blade "Leech" instead triggers on all attacks, and the unrandart dagger Vampire's Tooth always heals for the full amount possible.
Certain monsters have innate vampiric attacks that are slightly different from the weapon brand. These attacks can heal the attacker only if the defender can bleed. This means that the following player conditions will prevent the monster's vampiric attacks from providing healing:
- Being a mummy, ghoul, or a bloodless vampire
- Some transmutations: Spider Form, Ice Form, Statue Form, Necromutation
Tips & Tricks
- Vampiricism is usually one of the best brands in the game, but bear in mind that it will provide little benefit when exploring branches with few or no natural monsters (the Crypt, the Tomb, Hell, and Pandemonium in particular).
- Vampiricism is an excellent way for deep dwarf characters to heal.
- Prior to 0.24, wielding a vampiric weapon incurred a significant initial hunger cost, and such weapons could only be wielded when the user was at least Full.
- Prior to 0.13, this brand activated on 80% of attacks.
- Prior to 0.12, this brand was safer when found on sharp weapons, since blunt weapons didn't allow you to butcher corpses.
- Prior to 0.6, vampiric weapons massively increased the hunger cost for all actions (giving an average character the metabolism of a troll) instead of having a large set hunger cost. Vampires received a smaller hunger penalty. Also, all species received satiation with each attack, although in practice this was never enough to offset the increased hunger without some extremely tedious weapon-switching before and after fights.
|Melee weapons||Antimagic • Chaos • Distortion • Dragon slaying • Draining • Electrocution • Flaming • Freezing • Holy wrath • Pain • Protection • Reaching • Reaping • Returning • Speed • Vampiric • Venom • Vorpal|
|Launchers||Electrocution • Evasion • Flame • Frost • Penetration • Speed • Venom • Vorpal|
|Throwing weapons||Confusion • Curare • Dispersal • Exploding • Frenzy • Paralysis • Penetration • Poisoned • Returning • Silver • Sleep • Steel|