Attack type determines what special properties a melee attack has. Most monster attack types have no special properties, aside from what text is used when the attack is made.
Different attacks can generate different levels of noise – for instance, "tail slaps" generate twice as much noise as "stings". However, the amount of damage done by the attack is a larger factor and no melee attack is ever louder than a shout anyway.
Player attack types (specifically, unarmed attacks) have more in-game effect than equivalent monster attacks – for instance, the "horns" mutation will increase the damage of a player's headbutt.
- AT_CHERUB (monster list) randomly transformed into AT_HIT, AT_PECK, AT_BITE, or AT_GORE.
- AT_CLAW (monster list) severs hydra heads.
- AT_CONSTRICT (monster list) constricts the defender, causing extra damage and potential asphyxiation.
- AT_TRAMPLE (monster list) can trample the defender, pushing it back one square.
- AT_RANDOM (monster list) randomly transformed into AT_HIT or AT_GORE.
- AT_SHOOT (monster list) can use ranged weapons even when the defender is right next to them.
- AT_REACH_STING (monster list) has reaching.