Scroll of magic mapping
|A scroll that reveals the surroundings of the one who reads it.|
Magic mapping doesn't work in the Abyss. Using the scroll on a floor where you've already mapped everything will leave you "momentarily disoriented", although this effect is harmless.
Generally, you don't need to know the layout of every single floor in the game. Otherwise, you'd run out of scrolls quickly. Knowing the map is most valuable for the following situations:
- When you are hit by shafts or teleport traps. Magic mapping will reveal the location of nearby stairs, allowing you to escape back to safety.
- Reaching portal levels, such as Gauntlets and Ice caves, before they expire.
Can also be used for:
- On Dungeon: 4-7, if you haven't found a god yet, you may want to use magic mapping in order to search for the Temple.
- If you plan on ninja'ing a rune, using magic mapping on the end of a rune branch can help.
- If you have spare scrolls by the time you reach Zot, you might as well use them.
- In 0.31, these scrolls will be renamed to scrolls of revelation. The scroll will allow you to see through walls and clouds and reveal invisible monsters for 1 turn.
- Prior to 0.25, scrolls of magic mapping did not reveal traps.
- Prior to 0.10, this scroll would not detect secret doors, although these doors were removed in 0.12.
|Acquirement • Amnesia • Butterflies • Blinking • Brand weapon • Enchant armour • Enchant weapon • Fear • Fog • Identify • Immolation • Magic mapping • Noise • Poison • Silence • Summoning • Teleportation • Torment • Vulnerability|