|| Scroll of magic mapping
|| A scroll that reveals the surroundings of the one who reads it.
Reading a scroll of magic mapping reveals the entire map of the current level, including all stairs, portals, shops, and traps.
Scrolls of magic mapping don't work in the Abyss. Using the scroll on a floor where you've already mapped everything will leave you "momentarily disoriented", although this effect is harmless.
- Magic mapping scrolls are best saved for locating mini-branch portals before they expire, such as the Gauntlet, Bazaar, Volcano, or Ice Cave. Keep an eye for the alert message when entering a new level of the dungeon.
- It is also wise to save magic mapping scrolls for the bottom of branches that contain runes, as well as the bottom level of the Realm of Zot.
- If you fall down a shaft for multiple floors, a magic mapping scroll or two can help you get back up to a safer location quickly.
- Prior to 0.25, scrolls of magic mapping did not reveal traps.
- Prior to 0.10, this scroll would not detect secret doors, although these doors were removed in 0.12.