Attack type determines what special properties a melee attack has. Most monster attack types have no special properties, aside from what text is used when the attack is made.
Different attacks can generate different levels of noise—for instance, "tail-slaps" generate twice as much noise as "stings". However, the amount of damage done by the attack is a larger factor and no melee attack is ever louder than a shout.
Player attack types (specifically, unarmed attacks) have more in-game effect than equivalent monster attacks—for instance, the "horns" mutation will increase the damage of a player's headbutt.
- AT_CHERUB (monster list) randomly transformed into AT_HIT, AT_PECK, AT_BITE, or AT_GORE.
- AT_CLAW (monster list) severs hydra heads.
- AT_CONSTRICT (monster list) constricts the defender, causing extra damage and potential asphyxiation.
- AT_TRAMPLE (monster list) can trample the defender, pushing it back one square.
- AT_RANDOM (monster list) randomly transformed into AT_HIT or AT_GORE.
- AT_REACH_STING (monster list) has reaching.