The Gift Timeout is the period during which you cannot receive any more gifts from your current god. It begins the turn you receive a gift, and decreases every time you gain piety (this piety is only applied toward ending the gift timeout). The exact duration of this period varies from god to god. Gods that grant both weapon and ammo gifts will also have a shorter timeout for the ammo than for the weapons.
The only way to speed up the Gift Timeout period is to increase the rate at which you gain piety. Wearing an amulet of faith will speed it up significantly, but be aware of the negative consequences before doing so.
Gods which grant gifts based on the Gift Timeout method include:
- Beogh - Weapons, armour, and ammo.
- Jiyva - Mutations. These gifts don't cost any piety.
- Nemelex Xobeh - Decks of war and escape.
- Okawaru - Weapons and armour.
- Sif Muna - Spellbooks.
- Trog - Weapons and ammo.
- Vehumet - Offers learning Conjuration spells, one at a time.
- Yredelemnul - Undead minions.
Although Xom does grant gifts, he does not follow any sort of Gift Timeout procedure. Xom's gifts are essentially luck of the draw.
- Prior to 0.15, Nemelex Xobeh gifted decks of destruction, escape, summoning, and wonders.
- Prior to 0.14, Nemelex Xobeh could gift decks of dungeons and the types of gifted decks were dependent on the types of sacrificed items. Yredelemnul gifted freezing wraiths instead of vampires.
- Prior to 0.13, Yredelemnul could gift rotting hulks.
- Prior to 0.12, Vehumet gifted Conjurations and Summonings school spellbooks.