Holy spell school
The holy spell school only existed in pre-DCSS versions of Crawl. Its spells provided a wide variety of useful effects, very few of which can still be found as spells. Among its spells were:
- Lesser/Greater Healing: acted just like a potion of curing/potion of heal wounds (neither cured status effects, though).
- Purification: Similar to the Zin ability.
- Restore Strength/Dexterity/Intelligence: These were very useful if you found them, since in early versions, stats did not heal naturally, and potions of restore abilities could be quite rare.
- Smiting: Back when this was available to players as a spell effect, it was, appropriately a holy spell.
- Cure Poison: The only holy spell that still exists as a spell, albeit under a different school.
Holy spells still existed in the code for a long time after they were removed, although they could never be generated in DCSS except through bugs. However, before the advent of gods in pre-DCSS Crawl, they filled the niche that the good gods now fill. Indeed, the abilities provided by holy spells were generally parceled off to the good gods.