A miscast effect occurs when a player fails to cast a spell successfully. These can range in severity from completely harmless to inflicting heavy damage and magic contamination, depending on the school of magic that is used.
Failure to cast spells causes various generally nasty things to occur, becoming nastier with spell level and spell failure. Miscasts come in a severity scale 0, 1, 2 and 3. 0 is always harmless, although it can occasionally make a moderate amount of noise.
Unless otherwise stated, all miscast effects for a given school and level are equally probable.
- 1: 4-12 electric damage, or rain cloud, or Mephitic Cloud
- 2: 3d8 electric explosion or Poisonous Cloud
- 3: 12-40 Airstrike, or twister, or ball lightning
- 1: smoke or 6-12 damage
- 2: 9-25 damage or 3d12 explosion
- 3: 12-40 damage or 3d20 explosion
- 1: confusion or no effect
- 2: confusion plus either 1-3 INT loss or 3-12 MP loss
- 3: confusion plus either 3-5 INT loss or 5-24 MP loss
- 1: harmless
- 2: 10-22 damage (checked by AC)
- 3: 3d15 explosion, or Petrification
- 1: corona or random uselessness
- 2: Curse one item, or Slowing, or Silence
- 3: Fall asleep for 3-9 turns, or Magic vulnerability effect on self, or Confusion, or 0-18 glow
- 1: corona or random uselessness
- 2: curse one item (3/7 chance), slowing (3/7), or berserk (1/7)
- 3: Paralysis for 2-7 turns, confusion, 0-18 glow, or cancellation effect and plus 4-6 MP loss (can actually remove some magical contamination)
- 1: summons 1-2 fire vortexes, or 2-14 fire damage only if the player has fire vulnerability (rF-)
- 2: 5-33 fire damage, or 3d14 Fireball
- 3: 9-41 fire damage plus temporarily reduced fire resistance (rF-), or 3d20 Fireball, or Sticky Flame
- 1: nothing, or 4-8 damage only if the player has cold vulnerability (rC-).
- 2: 5-16 ice damage plus temporary -Potion, or 3d11 ice explosion
- 3: 9-31 ice damage plus Frozen status effect, or Freezing Cloud
Torment, rotting, and draining damage have no effect on undead. For spells, no effect at all if Kiku** and Piety/150 chance. These effects are also frequently seen as death curses from non-plain mummies. For death curses, if Kiku**, then Kiku has a 1/2 chance of blocking it entirely, otherwise reduces the severity by one level.
- 1: Slowing, rotting, or 5-19 torment damage
- 2: Draining, 3 shadows, or 15-37 torment damage
- 3: Draining, reaper, soul eater, random stat loss 1-7, rotting, or player-targeted torment
Poison resistance blocks the damage and stat loss, and renders the clouds harmless.
- 1: 7-15 poison damage or Mephitic Cloud on your location only
- 2: 14-30 poison damage, large Mephitic Cloud, or temporary poison vulnerability
- 3: 20-54 poison damage, Poisonous Cloud, or random stat loss 1-5
- 1: 5-13 damage, or spatial vortex, or lesser demon
- 2: 1-3 spatial vortices (1/6 chance), common demon, or 2-3 small abominations (1/2)
- 3: 1-3 worldbinders, or 1-2 common demons, greater demon, banishment, or Malign Gateway
- 1: 4-12 damage (1/2 chance), 4-10 damage and Blink (1/3), or spatial vortex (1/6)
- 2: 9-31 damage (3/7 chance), 5-13 damage + confusion + 66% chance blink, 33% chance teleport (2/7), 1-3 spatial vortices (1/7), or banishment (1/7).
- 3: 15-43 damage plus Dimension Anchor, 9-25 damage plus confusion plus teleport, banishment, or 0-18 glow.
- 1: 1-11 damage, summon 2-4 giant cockroaches, or random uselessness
- 2: polymorph, 3-25 damage, weakness ,or 0-18 glow
- 3: polymorph (1/2 chance), 3-20 damage plus 0-34 glow (1/6), 5-27 damage plus remove mutation (1/6), 5-27 damage plus 1-2 bad mutations (1/6)
Hell's mystical force selects a miscast or other effect with the probabilities given below. As noted further down, it will always try to place a Malign Gateway instead of banishing, as banishment is rarely more than annoyance for a character that can handle Hell.
- Necromancy miscast: 16.66%
- Summoning miscast: 8.33%
- Conjurations miscast: 4.16%
- Charms miscast: 2.08%
- Hexes miscast: 2.08%
- Miscast appropriate to each branch: 22.22% (Fire magic miscast in Gehenna, Ice magic miscast in Cocytus, Necromancy miscast in Tartarus, and Earth magic miscast in Dis)
- Summon a greater demon appropriate to each branch: 14.15% (Brimstone fiends in Gehenna, Ice fiends in Cocytus, Shadow fiends in Tartarus, and any greater demon in Dis)
- Summon 1-5 random monsters: 9.88%
- Nothing happens: 19.75%
- Only caused by normal miscasts, not by hell effects.
- Attempts to banish. This fails if it's a Hell effect miscast, or if you're in the Abyss with a depth/5 chance. If it fails, attempt to place a Malign Gateway. If that fails, reroll the effect.
- If this fails to place, reroll.
In 0.16, many magic miscast effects received a significant overhaul.
Prior to 0.14, Hell's mystical force could paralyze the player.