Version 0.27: This article may not be up to date for the latest stable release of Crawl.
| An infamous weapon, once used by a vile pirate captain to slaughter countless innocents. He finally met his destiny when a kraken swallowed his ship, and the cutlass was thought to be lost with him.
It may disarm weapon-wielding foes when striking them, dealing extra damage in the process.
In the hands of a skilled Short Blades specialist, the captain's cutlass is as good as any quick blade, if not better. It can deal excellent amounts of damage quickly, both in open combat and when stabbing. Like all short blades, it benefits greatly from any slaying bonuses you can give it, especially when dealing with high-AC targets in the late game. If you manage to disarm a foe you even get bonus damage. All in all it's a very respectable weapon.
- Prior to 0.20, the captain's cutlass would behead hydras.
- Prior to 0.18, the captain's cutlass didn't cause bonus damage when disarming.
- In 0.16, the captain's cutlass got its enchantment bonus reduced to +5, but it gained a chance of disarming your opponent each attack.
- Prior to 0.15, the captain's cutlass had an enchantment bonus of +5, +10.
- Prior to 0.10 this weapon carried a slaying bonus as a property (its base type was a sabre); in later versions this was incorporated into its base damage, and in 0.14, into its enchantment.
- ↑ art-data.txt:752 (0.27.0)