Dreamshard necklace

From CrawlWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Version 0.31: This article is up to date for the latest stable release of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
A beautiful rainbow of colour and motion trapped within a delicate crystal on a thin silver chain. Listening carefully, one can hear the distant echo of a thousand dreams from all corners of reality, their melody giving a warm sense of safety.

Dreamshard necklace.png the dreamshard necklace

Amulet of the acrobat

Protects the wearer from lethal damage once


If the user would be reduced to 0 HP,[1] the dreamshard necklace's *Dream effect activates, causing the following effects:[2]

  • The triggering blow is negated; the wearer is left at 1 HP. Poison is removed, but Sticky Flame and Flay are not.
  • The wearer is immune to all damage until their next action.
  • Shadow Creatures is cast, creating several floor-appropriate allies
  • A bank of fog is created.

Afterwards, it loses the *Dream property, effectively becoming a regular amulet of the acrobat.


The dreamshard necklace[3] lets you escape from a deadly situation once a game. This lets you take somewhat greater risks than you otherwise would.

  • At a human level of play, mistakes of some kind are inevitable. It can save you as you were mindlessly tabbing enemies.
  • For careful players, it can increase risk tolerance. For example: say a god ability has a 95% chance of keeping you alive, but a scroll of blinking has a 100% chance. Normally, you should use the scroll of blinking ASAP, since a 5% chance of death is too high in a permadeath game. With the dreamshard necklace, however, you can afford the risk. You can use the god ability, thus saving you from having to use the scroll 95% of the time.
  • There are a few cases where you can instantly die in 1 turn, from 100% health, due no fault of your own. For instance, you could be teleported into the lungs of Zot:5, and take too much damage. This amulet offers some protection against these theoretical cases.

It is best not to rely on the dreamshard necklace: the *Dream effect can only be used once. And since it only saves you for 1 turn, you should make sure you have a way to escape at 1 HP. Aside from those stipulations: if this amulet is used carefully, it can be a powerful tool.

Despite already having multiple lives, Felids still somewhat benefit from this amulet, since their extra lives are limited.


  • Prior to 0.31:
    • The dreamshard necklace didn't have Acrobat, and drained the wearer on unequip. Also, when activated, the necklace was destroyed (this didn't trigger the *Drain).
    • The *Dream effect would restore 50% - 100% of your max HP, instead of leaving you at 1 HP.
    • The *Dream effect had a 50% chance to activate if you lost half of your current HP in a single turn.
  • The dreamshard necklace was added in 0.28.