| This spell conjures a sticky glob of liquid fire, which will adhere to and burn any creature it strikes.
“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.”
Sticky Flame is a level 4 Conjurations/Fire Magic spell which causes the target to burn for decent damage over several rounds. It has perfect accuracy, and as an added bonus, it causes the target to glow, negating their invisibility and making them easier targets for other attacks. Even at moderate power, it can take down such dangerous creatures as hydras or death yaks. Unfortunately, its max range cannot exceed 1, even if you worship Vehumet, unless you cast it from the Tome of Destruction or Makhleb's Greater Destruction.
The duration of the effect is approximately 4 or 5 turns per every level of the enchantment. The level of this enchantment is a value that depends on the hit dice of the victim, but never a value greater than 4. At maximum duration, the average amount of damage done is approximately:
(Damage per turn) * (Turns per level) * (Levels) = = 4 * 4.5 * 4 = 72
Tips & Tricks
- This is a great spell if you don't mind being up close and personal. Fragile spell-casters should plan to confuse or incapacitate the victim before venturing into melee range against monsters that can generate a one-shot kill, while more durable hybrid characters can use it as powerful opening salvo before engaging in melee combat.
- With Sticky Flame, you can take down melee-oriented monsters that are otherwise too strong for you to handle (so long as they're not fire resistant and/or faster than you, that is). Simply set them on fire and run away - if they stop burning before they die, recast Sticky Flame. Just make sure you already have a monster-free path to retreat along!
- Hitting invisible monsters with this spell (using Z) will cause them to be revealed for its duration. This is a useful strategy for dealing with unseen horrors and flickering sky beasts.
- If you've been hit with Sticky Flame, entering water will put out the flame. This works for monsters, too. Flight does not prevent this effect. As such, using Sticky Flame on aquatic monsters will only do a little initial damage.
- You can use a phial of floods to create water to put out sticky flame.
- Lanolin is very flammable, so sheep are especially susceptible to Sticky Flame.
Works in similar manner to the player version.
Sticky Flame Splash
Some monsters have this breath ability. It can splash to multiple monsters adjacent to the target.
The following enemies cast Sticky Flame Splash:
- d Mottled draconian (3d6 damage)
The following enemies may be able to cast Sticky Flame Splash, depending on their spell set:
- Tiamat (3d8 damage, 14.3% chance)
Sticky Flame Range
|This spell launches a sticky glob of liquid fire at a distant target.|
The most common monster version of the spell. Has range of 5, but can be dodged.
The following enemies cast Sticky Flame Range:
- R Azrael (3d5 damage)
- 2 Balrug (3d6 damage)
- D Mottled dragon (3d4 damage)
- 3 Smoke demon (3d4 damage)
The following enemies may be able to cast Sticky Flame Range, depending on their spell set:
- e Deep elf mage (3d5 damage, 16.7% chance)
Some monsters are intrinsically resistant to sticky flame. The flame will not "stick" to them, although they will take a small amount of fire damage on the first turn. Insubstantial monsters are also resistant to sticky flame.