Ring of the Octopus King
| One of the eight rings once worn by the Octopus King and now scattered across the land. Each has its own unique enchantment.|
"A mermaid who fancied to sing,
a ring of the Octopus King
One of the following properties: rF+, rC+, rN+, rCorr, MP +9, Wizardry, SInv, or Fly.
Each ring worn also adds a +2 enchantment to the trident of the Octopus King.
There are technically eight different rings of the Octopus King. It is possible to find more than one in a single game, but finding all eight is extraordinarily unlikely (without completing an egregious number of Ziggurats, at least).
On their own, each ring is still a step up from their mundane counterparts; their broad defensive bonuses are subtle, but useful for any character. It's not uncommon to find superior randart rings, but a ring of the Octopus King is at least as useful as a ring of protection or evasion.
Only an Octopode, with their ability to wear eight rings at once, can take full advantage of the rings' synergy with the Trident, but they'll still need to find them all first. And by the time they've done that, they'll likely have found multiple high-powered randart rings.
- Prior to 0.29, rings gave +1 to AC, EV, strength, intelligence, and dexterity.
- Prior to 0.27, rings generated with Stealth instead of Flight.
- Prior to 0.19, the rings' bonus to the trident of the Octopus King was +1 each. Also, rings generated with sustain attributes instead of corrosion resistance.
- Prior to 0.16, rings generated with Regen instead of SInv.
- Prior to 0.15, rings generated with Hunger- instead of Stealth+. Also, the rings did not increase the enchantment level of the trident of the Octopus King.
- The rings of the Octopus King were added in 0.10.
- ↑ artefact.cc:1808 (0.29.0)
- ↑ art-data.txt:1250 (0.29.0)