|An unholy crossbow, forged in the fires of Gehenna. It imbues the bolts it fires with the raw power of its namesake.|
Damnation's base enchantment is decent, and those who have the appropriate skill will find it quite powerful, especially against groups of enemies. The bursts of damnation have perfect accuracy and ignore all resistances except for the exceedingly rare damnation resistance, making it particularly helpful against monsters with very high defense like curse skulls. Of course, damnation also ignores all of your resistances, so try not to use it at point-blank range. Portal Projectile can come in handy for safely firing at tricky arrangements of enemies.
Bear in mind that the explosions Damnation generates are significantly louder than normal crossbow shots, so expect to wake up nearby foes. In addition, this weapon mulches every bolt that explodes, so you may run out of bolts quickly unless you already have hundreds of bolts or follow Okawaru.
Damnation can be found in many Gehenna:7 vaults, but may also be generated randomly.
- Prior to 0.27, Damnation's bolts would explode wherever they landed; by aiming at the ground with f. instead of ff, users could set off explosions near evasive enemies, or fire at adjacent enemies without worrying about recoil damage.
- Prior to 0.19, Damnation provided rF++ and +40 MR at the cost of rC- in addition to damnation damage.
- This crossbow was renamed to Damnation from Hellfire in 0.18 along with the reflavor of the damage type. Prior to 0.18, the explosion counted as fire damage for the purpose of vulnerability, but ignored fire resistance.
- Prior to 0.15, Hellfire was a +6, +9 crossbow.
- Prior to 0.14, it had the flame brand.
- art-data.txt:528 (0.27.1)