|An unholy crossbow, forged in the fires of Gehenna. It imbues the bolts it fires with the raw power of its namesake.|
Damnation is a decently enchanted arbalest with an amazing "brand". A 100% chance for 2d14 damage is over ×4 stronger than electrocution, it can hit multiple enemies in its 3×3 blast, and damnation resistance is exceedingly rare. However, when used against adjacent targets, the blast will hit you. Also, the explosions Damnation generates are significantly louder than normal crossbow shots, so expect to wake up nearby foes.
While you'll want a swapout to fight adjacent enemies, Damnation is viable for the entirety of a 3-rune game (at least). A triple crossbow may be stronger, but requires much more skill to get to mindelay. Portal Projectile can come in handy for safely firing at tricky arrangements of enemies.
This artefact can be found in many Gehenna:7 vaults, but may also be generated randomly.
- Prior to 0.29, Damnation dealt 3d14 damnation damage, but always mulched bolts that it fired, in addition to the other ranged weapon changes.
- Prior to 0.27, Damnation's bolts would explode wherever they landed, not requiring a hit target. By aiming at the ground with f. instead of ff, users could set off explosions near evasive enemies, or fire at adjacent enemies without worrying about recoil damage.
- Prior to 0.19, Damnation gave rF++, rC-, and MR+.
- In 0.18, both the crossbow and its damage type were renamed to Damnation from Hellfire. Previously, hellfire damage was increased against fire vulnerability, but ignored fire resistance.
- Prior to 0.15, Hellfire was a +6, +9 crossbow.
- Prior to 0.14, it had the flame brand.