This article is about the damage type. For the artefact crossbow by this name, see Damnation (unrand).
Damnation is an extremely dangerous damage type that is virtually irresistible. It is always dealt in 3×3-tile blasts that never miss and is one of the main threats in Pandemonium and the Hell branches.
|Blasts a targeted enemy with damnation. These unholy forces harm the victim and anyone adjacent, and are not affected by any means of protection, such as armour or resistances. However, certain creatures, usually those able to invoke damnation themselves, are entirely unscathed by damnation.|
This spell has a range of 7, requires a line of sight to the target, and creates an unavoidable 3×3 burst. Damage in each tile is 3d20 damnation. The following enemies cast Hurl Damnation:
- & Asmodeus (3d20 damage)
- R Azrael (3d20 damage)
- 1 Brimstone Fiend (3d20 damage)
- e Deep elf sorcerer (3d20 damage)
- & Dispater (3d20 damage)
- q Draconian scorcher (3d20 damage)
- 1 Hell Sentinel (3d20 damage)
- @ Hellbinder (3d20 damage)
Call Down Damnation
|Blasts a targeted enemy with damnation, with no direct line of fire required. These unholy forces harm the victim and anyone adjacent, and are not affected by any means of protection, such as armour or resistances. However, certain creatures, usually those able to invoke damnation themselves, are entirely unscathed by damnation.|
This version uses smite targeting to direct a 3×3 burst of damnation against targets in LOS. Damage is 5d7 damnation (when the target is a monster) and 3d15 damnation (when the target is you). The following enemies cast Call Down Damnation:
- R Azrael (3d15 damage)
- e Deep elf high priest (3d15 damage)
- q Draconian scorcher (3d15 damage)
- 2 Hellion (3d15 damage)
The following enemies may be able to cast Call Down Damnation, depending on their spell set:
- Pandemonium lord (5.2% chance)
Damnation Sources for the Player
There are few methods available for players to gain access to Hurl Damnation. They are all found in the late game, and usually require a heavy cost to use. (Call Down Damnation cannot be used by players by any means.)
- Evoking the Staff of Dispater will reliably cast Hurl Damnation (Power = Evocations×8, max damage 3d57), but at a cost of 5-23 HP (average 14, but never fatal), 2-6 MP (average 4), and 100 food.
- Bolts fired with the arbalest "Damnation" cause damnation damage.
- The Hurl Hellfire Demonspawn mutation (tier 1, rank 3) allows you to cast Hurl Damnation (damage based on XP level, max 6d28 at level 27) but at a cost of 15% of your max HP per use.
All player-launched sources of damnation require a line of sight and create an unavoidable 3×3 burst:
- Range: 7
- To-Hit Number:
20 + Power / 10
3d(10 + (Power * 3) / 4)
Some monsters (typically demons) possess damnation resistance, rendering them immune to damage from damnation. Players cannot acquire damnation immunity; the only possible way to reduce damnation damage is the damage-shaving ability of deep dwarves.
- Prior to 0.18, damnation was known as hellfire and counted as fire damage in addition to being irresistible. The Hellfire Burst spell was renamed to Call Down Damnation, and Hellfire is now Hurl Damnation.