Lamp of fire
| A magical lamp which can be aimed at a creature to unleash trails of searing flame around the target.
Once activated, this device and all other devices of its kind, will be rendered temporarily inert. However, they will recharge as you gain experience.
A lamp of fire is an elemental evoker which allows you to fire powerful, semi-controlled gouts of flame at your opponents. When evoked, you may choose a target tile, and up to three blasts of flame will be launched in that general direction, generating flame clouds along the path to the target. At low Evocations skill, this will likely create a single weak bolt of flame, but at higher skill levels you can deal surprisingly high amounts of damage and leave much of the battlefield engulfed in flames.
Using this item depletes it, rendering it inert, but it will recharge each time you gain sufficient experience while it is in your possession.
Carrying multiple lamps is no more useful than carrying one, since evoking one causes all lamps, both carried and stashed, to become temporarily inert.
Tips & Tricks
- Evoking a lamp of fire can be very useful as a virtual "smite" attack versus a particular damaging creature protected by a mob (e.g., a silent spectre in a ziggurat).
- The ability to control the direction the lamp fires at is increased at higher Evocations, but characters with 0 evocations can still use it to great effect in corridors.
- Lamps of fire were removed in 0.25.
- Prior to 0.19, using this item would summon up to three allied fire elementals near the target.
- Prior to 0.14, all elemental evokers recharged simultaneously.
- Prior to 0.13, this item simply allowed you to summon fire elementals one at a time from flaming clouds or lava.
- Prior to 0.9, it appeared unidentified as a blazing lamp.