|Tears a gash in reality, creating a self-sustained but temporary portal to an unknown, tainted otherworld. It requires open space to succeed. After a short time, a powerful clawed tentacle will reach through the portal, remaining bound to the caster's will for a duration depending on power. With the portal's expiry, the tentacle will be severed and turn on the caster.|
Opens a up a gateway for eldritch tentacle in a random nearby location with floor or shallow water and no adjacent walls. Higher spell power makes the tentacle remain friendly longer.
It takes 1 + 1d3 turns before a tentacle emerges from the gateway. The tentacle stays friendly for (1d<power> + 5d(<power> + 1)) / 6 - 1 - (1d4 - 1) turns, or until the gateway is closed and the tentacle is severed.
There can only be one such portal open at a time. This means that if you cast the spell, enemies who know the spell will be unable to cast it until yours closes (and vice versa).
- Eldritch tentacles are powerful and fast, capable of hitting the average monster for up to 70 HP of chaotic damage per attack and inflicting all manner of extra effects with each hit.
- Although extremely powerful, the tentacle is not summoned instantaneously. Several turns will pass before the tentacle emerges from the portal. Plan accordingly, and use other summoned allies in the meantime.
- This spell requires an open area to cast. Attempts to cast in a narrow corridor will fail.
- The tentacle can attack outside of the player's line of sight.
- Eldritch tentacles cannot be hasted or abjured.
- Prior to 0.17, casting this spell had a 20% chance of causing 1d3 points of temporary Intelligence damage.
- Malign Gateway was added in 0.8.