Summonings is a magical skill that governs your ability at bringing forth monsters and other entities to fight for you (though they may arrive hostile when called into existence by unskilled practitioners). These summoned monsters function much like real monsters, with the following exceptions:
- They are worth no experience or piety, and leave nothing behind when slain. They cannot be targeted by Vampiric Draining or Inner Flame.
- They have difficulty attacking targets with warding in melee. Spells and ranged attacks are unaffected.
- They eventually "time out" regardless of their HP, poofing out out of existence in a cloud of smoke. The spells Abjuration and Aura of Abjuration greatly shorten the time they have remaining, often causing them to cease to exist immediately. Summoned monsters will be immediately unsummoned on the death of the summoner.
- They will not follow you up or down stairs. This allows you to flee hostile summoned units and return after sufficient time has passed. Your own summoned allies will disappear immediately when you change floors.
- They will not attack monsters outside of the player's line of sight.
Note that there is one spell in this school of magic that does not create summoned monsters: eldritch tentacles, which can be created with the Malign Gateway spell, cannot be abjured and will fight outside of the player's line of sight.
The average aptitude of all species, excluding coloured draconian, is -0.259.
- Main Texts
- Book of Beasts: Summon Butterflies, Call Canine Familiar, Summon Ice Beast, Summon Mana Viper, Summon Hydra
- Book of Callings: Summon Small Mammal, Call Imp, Call Canine Familiar, Summon Guardian Golem, Summon Lightning Spire, Summon Ice Beast
- Book of Summonings: Recall, Aura of Abjuration, Summon Demon, Summon Forest, Summon Mana Viper, Shadow Creatures
- Grand Grimoire: Monstrous Menagerie, Summon Greater Demon, Malign Gateway, Summon Horrible Things
- Other Texts
- Book of Cantrips: Summon Small Mammal
- Book of the Dragon: Dragon's Call
- Book of Dreams: Shadow Creatures
- Fen Folio: Summon Forest, Summon Hydra
- Book of Frost: Summon Ice Beast
- Book of Minor Magic: Call Imp
- Necronomicon: Haunt
- Book of Party Tricks: Summon Butterflies
- Book of Power: Spellforged Servitor
- Book of the Sky: Summon Lightning Spire
- Book of Unlife: Recall
Summoned monsters are generated with a duration between 1 and 6. This value roughly corresponds to the following amount in turns:
- 90 aut (arbitrary units of time; 10 aut = 1 "turn")
- 180 aut
- 270 aut
- 360 aut
- 810 aut
- 1710 aut
Some Summonings spells have a fixed duration. The other spells will increase monster duration with spell power.
Most Summonings spells also have a fixed cap on how many monsters of that type you can sustain at any one time. Exceeding that cap by casting the spell too often will cause the oldest monsters to time out almost immediately.
|Spell||Level||Duration Type||Duration||Summoning Cap|
|Summon Small Mammal||1||Fixed||3||4|
|Call Imp||2||Spellpower Dependent||2-6||3|
|Sticks to Snakes*||2||Spellpower Dependent||3-5||No Limit|
|Call Canine Familiar||3||Spellpower Dependent||2-6||1|
|Summon Guardian Golem||3||Fixed||3||1|
|Summon Ice Beast||4||Spellpower Dependent||2-4||3|
|Summon Lightning Spire||4||Fixed||2||1|
|Shadow Creatures||5||Monster's HD Dependent||1-4||4**|
|Summon Demon||5||Spellpower Dependent||2-6||3|
|Summon Forest||5||Fixed||1||No Limit***|
|Summon Mana Viper||5||Fixed||2||2|
|Tukima's Dance*||5||Spellpower Dependent||2-6||No Limit|
|Death Channel*||6||Fixed||6||No Limit|
|Summon Greater Demon||7||Fixed||4||3|
|Summon Horrible Things||8||Fixed||3||8|
|Dragon's Call||9||Fixed||2||No Limit|
* - Not a Summonings spell, but operates similarly. ** - Band members don't count towards the cap. *** - Can't cast again until duration has expired. **** - Only one Malign Gateway can exist in the dungeon at time, regardless of who created it.
These non-standard methods for summoning allies have no cap on the number of units you can have out at once, but their costs are often prohibitive:
- Source : Duration
- Brothers in Arms : 2-6
- Summon Divine Warrior : 2-6
- Elemental Force: 1
- Scroll of summoning : Monster's HD dependent, but better than the spell
Prior to 0.14, summoned creatures could exist even after their summoner was defeated, leading to much more cautious behavior around certain enemy summoners. Many enemy summoners were also much more fragile and were not subject to the same summoning caps as players. 0.14 also massively overhauled the Summonings spell list; Summon Lightning Spire, Summon Guardian Golem, Summon Forest, Summon Mana Viper, Monstrous Menagerie, Aura of Abjuration, Forceful Dismissal, and Spellforged Servitor were all added, replacing Summon Scorpions, Summon Ugly Thing, Mass Abjuration, Demonic Horde, and Summon Dragon.
Prior to 0.13, Summonings spells had no limit on how many monsters you could summon at a time, barring MP restrictions. This led to players summoning hordes of monsters at all times, rendering them nearly untouchable by most monsters and leading to extremely dull optimal gameplay.
|Melee||Short Blades • Long Blades • Axes • Maces & Flails • Polearms • Staves • Unarmed Combat|
|Ranged||Bows • Crossbows • Throwing • Slings|
|Physical||Fighting • Armour • Dodging • Stealth • Shields|
|Magical||Spellcasting • Invocations • Evocations|
|Spell Schools||Air • Charms • Conjurations • Earth • Fire • Hexes • Ice • Necromancy • Poison • Summoning • Translocations • Transmutations|