|This spell randomly translocates the caster a short distance.|
Blink is a level 2 Translocations spell which warps you to a randomly selected nearby open tile. This tile must meet the following restrictions:
- The tile may not contain deep water or lava, if and only if this terrain is impassable to you. (traps, excluded tiles, and harmful clouds are all legal, however)
- The tile must be within your line of sight, and unless there are no other compatible squares, not the square you are currently on
- The tile cannot be behind a translucent wall
- The tile must not contain any other creatures.
Blink is one of the easiest-to-acquire escape spells in the game. The more powerful level 8 spell Controlled Blink lets you select the exact tile you blink to. The scroll of blinking has a similar effect.
- Prevent Teleport Items: Some equipment will actively stop you from blinking or teleporting, such as an artefact with the -Tele property.
- As a formicid you are under a permanent stasis effect that will prevent blink or teleport.
- Constriction: If you are being constricted by a monster, blinking may fail; you immediately make two escape attempts, and will blink so long as at least one of them succeeds.
- This spells effect can be replicated by Lugonu's Bend Space ability (except that this works even when under stasis or -Tele.
- Randarts that confer +Blink as an ability cost 2 MP and 50 food to use, and require Evocations skill to use reliably. The ability is otherwise identical to the spell.
- The Blink mutation will replicate the spell's effect, for 5% of your max HP.
Tips & Tricks
- A lifesaver particularly in the earlier game, get this spell or an item with it if at all possible. Since it randomly places you somewhere within your field of vision, the trick is to minimize the number of squares you can see where you don't want to end up.
- It also pays to remember that although a blink won't drop you in lava or deep water, it can and will drop you into a cloud, so take care when blinking around miasma, flame, or any other cloud you really don't want to land in.
Many monsters can cast the spell Blink, and their version can pass through translucent walls. There is no equivalent of Controlled Blink for monsters: player ghosts who had it in life will have Blink instead. However, some monsters are capable of casting the following Blink variations:
- Blink Close: Blinks the caster to a space closer to your character than the caster's starting location.
- Blink Away: Blinks the caster to a space farther away from your character than the caster's starting location.
- Blink Range: Blinks the caster to a space as far away as possible while still remaining within range for their ranged attacks.
- Blink Allies Encircling - Blinks nearby allies (excluding the caster) around the player, surrounding them.
- Blink Allies Away - Blinks nearby allies farther away from the player while maintaining their ability to use ranged attacks.