|A double-ended whip made from the cured hides of black mambas, and enchanted with toxins ranging from ordinary venoms to asphyxiating curare.|
Curare (Upgraded venom brand; 40% chance of inflicting Curare instead)
Snakebite is a rather useful weapon for much of the game, providing somewhat powerful, fast attacks with a unique brand and a useful resistance. In addition to its regular poison effect, it has a chance to inflict curare on 40% of hits, slowing and asphyxiating affected enemies. However, its base damage is fairly low, making it a poor choice for handling high-AC enemies, and its brand proves useless against anything with poison resistance including the many demonic and undead opponents you'll find in the end-game.
A rare vault in the early Lair is guaranteed to contain Snakebite; it consists of a long, winding corridor filled with adders, water moccasins, and black mambas, with Snakebite sitting at the very end.
- Prior to 0.19, Snakebite merely poisoned opponents instead of inflicting curare.
- Prior to 0.15, Snakebite had an enchantment of +5.
- Prior to 0.14, Snakebite had an enchantment of +5, +10.
- ↑ art-data.txt:642 (0.25.1)
- ↑ art-func.h:897 (0.25.1)