Ammo can be fired with the f key. Throwing does not require a wielded item to use. Items thrown may then be recovered for future use, though items that fall into lava are lost, and items in deep water can only be recovered by an amphibious species. Items will stop where it hits a monster (if the projectile can only hit one monster), a location you specified via (f .), or at the end of LOS. Boomerangs return, so will be placed back in your inventory.
Monsters are not limited by ammo, with the sole exception of throwing nets.
Main Article: Mulch
Ammunition may occasionally mulch, which destroys the item and prevents infinite use. Bigger Throwing ammo mulches less often.
- Throwing: List of ammo types
- Prior to 0.29, ranged weapons used ammo: stones and sling bullets for Slings, arrows for Bows, and bolts for Crossbows.
- Prior to 0.24, blowguns required needles; both were replaced by the throwable dart.
- Prior to 0.18, ranged weapon ammunition could be branded.
- Prior to 0.11, ammo could have its own enchantment.