Version 0.29: This article is up to date for the latest stable release of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
The Throwing skill denotes how accurate and powerful your character is with thrown weapons.
Throwing weapons benefit more from skill than other weapons. Like Unarmed Combat, throwing weapons deal
(weapon base damage) + (Throwing skill) base damage due to skill. Regular weapons get a
1 + 1d(Skill) / 25 multiplier instead. For example, 10 Throwing would double the base damage of a javelin, but the equivalent skill would only increase other weapons by 20%.
The following weapons use the Throwing skill:
Anything not listed above can still be thrown, but it is usually useless to do so, as it will do no damage.
- In 0.30, boomerangs, javelins, and large rocks will deal +33% damage when they mulch.
- Prior to 0.29, Throwing crosstrained with Slings (skill).
- In 0.28, monsters now carry fewer throwing weapons, and throwing weapons became slightly less common on the floor.
- In 0.24, blowguns were removed, tomahawks were replaced with boomerangs, and needles were replaced with new darts. Javelins now always penetrate.
- In 0.18, throwing speed was changed to work like weapons do, making it somewhat slower. The effect of poisoned needles was tied to the Throwing skill.
- In 0.17, many species got their Throwing aptitude decreased. Heavy armour stopped penalizing the throwing speed.
- In 0.15, ranged combat was changed to work more like melee combat, making throwing more viable option. Also, darts were removed.
- In 0.14, tomahawks were added. Spears, daggers, clubs, and hand axes stopped functioning as throwing weapons.
- In 0.8, Evaporate stopped using the Throwing skill.
- In 0.6, blowguns started using the Throwing skill instead of the Darts skill.
- In 0.3, javelins and throwing nets were added.
|Weapons|| Short Blades • Long Blades • Ranged Weapons
Axes • Maces & Flails • Polearms • Staves • Unarmed Combat • Throwing
|Physical||Fighting • Armour • Dodging • Stealth • Shields|
|Magical||Spellcasting • Invocations • Evocations|
|Spell Schools||Air • Conjurations • Earth • Fire • Hexes • Ice • Necromancy • Poison • Summoning • Translocations • Transmutations|