Bolt of Draining
|This spell hurls a deadly bolt of negative energy, which drains the life from any living creature it strikes.|
Bolt of Draining is a level 5 Conjurations/Necromancy spell which fires a bolt of negative energy, dealing damage and draining any creatures in its path. It functions much like a more powerful wand of draining with reduced range (range 8 vs. range 6, and it loses one square of range each time it hits something). Negative energy resistance reduces the damage dealt by this spell by 50% (rN+), 75% (rN++), or 100% (rN+++).
Bolt of Draining is effective at softening up or destroying rows of dangerous natural monsters. On one hand, many dangerous late game monsters (including all undead and demons) are partially or completely immune to its effects (which is almost irrelevant for 3 rune game). On the other hand, undead immunity means you can send hordes of undead minions at your foes and shoot Bolts of Draining through them without any risk of harming them, and Orb Guardians, draconians, and almost all giants are still quite susceptible to its damage, which makes this spell quite effective in Zot. Excellent spell overall, especially when coupled with Dispel Undead.
Many monsters are capable of casting Bolt of Draining with extremely irritating results; a loss of skill levels which only disappears after you've gained sufficient experience.
The following enemies cast Bolt of Draining:
- 6 Black sun (3d22 damage)
- e Deep elf death mage (3d22 damage)
- W Eidolon (3d21 damage)
- L Halazid warlock (3d27 damage)
- o Nergalle (3d18 damage)
- o Orc sorcerer (3d17 damage)
- D Serpent of Hell (Tartarus) (3d24 damage)
- D Shadow dragon (3d24 damage)
- 1 Tzitzimitl (3d29 damage)
- V Vampire mage (3d18 damage)
The following enemies may be able to cast Bolt of Draining, depending on their spell set:
- z Ancient champion (3d21 damage, 50.0% chance)
- L Ancient lich (3d33 damage, 20.0% chance)
- e Deep elf mage (3d17 damage, 16.7% chance)
- L Lich (3d27 damage, 20.0% chance)
- Pandemonium lord (5.2% chance)