Book of Winter
|Envelops the caster's body in a protective layer of thick ice, granting a substantial bonus to armour as long as they remain in their current location. The ice will crack and fall away if the caster moves to a new position. The spell decreases in effectiveness in heavier armour, granting a lower bonus the higher the encumbrance rating of the caster's armour.|
Ozocubu's Armour is a level 3 Ice Magic spell which can greatly increase your AC, provided the player remains stationary.
Ice Elementalists begin with this spell in their libraries.
The caster gains a boost of AC for a short duration. This spell is less effective for casters wearing heavier armour, and won't work alongside Statue Form. The duration and size of this AC boost is shown below:
Normal AC Boost: 5 + (4*Spellpower/50) AC (Max 13)
Penalty: - (Encumbrance/2) ACDuration: 20 + 2d(Spellpower) turns.
For the spell to remain in effect, the player must remain in place. Players can still move, but the armour will break - even during "involuntary" movement: e.g., being teleported/trampled. In addition, taking fire damage from beams greatly reduces the armour's duration.
Ozocubu's Armour provides a very useful AC boost to any character who wears light armour and can manage the (minimal) skill investment. Even at its lowest spellpower, it's still on par with a ring of protection. Transmuters and species with no body armour slot (Felids, Octopodes, and Draconians) appreciate this spell more, while it lets other species "get away" with lighter pieces of armour.
Frozen Ramparts is a natural companion; it too is a level 3 Ice Magic spell that breaks when you move.
- Prior to 0.27, certain involuntary movements, such as Blink, would not break the armour. Also, the spell would melt when used over lava.
- Prior to 0.26, Ozocubu's Armour was an Ice/Charms spell, and did not function with heavy armour (encumbrance rating > 5), instead of an encumbrance penalty.
- Prior to 0.22, Ozocubu's Armour did not expire immediately upon movement and had a speed penalty instead.
- Prior to 0.18, Ozocubu's Armour did not come with a speed penalty.
- Prior to 0.17, the effects of this spell were boosted in Ice Form and used the formula was 6 + 7 * (Spellpower/50) AC. (Max 20)
- Prior to 0.15, the bonus AC calculation was link to your Ice Magic skill, not your spellpower:
- Normal AC Boost: 4 + (Ice Magic/3)
- Ice Form AC Boost: 5 + (Ice Magic * (7/12))
- Prior to 0.14, the encumbrance rating limit for this spell was 6, allowing it to work with mottled dragon armour.