|Imparts seals on nearby doors and stairs, preventing those not allied with the caster from traversing them.|
Seal Doors is a monster-only spell which seals shut not only doors but stairs as well, making them impassible/unusable by the player until the duration of the effect ends, the vault warden which created the seal is killed, or the seal has been destroyed. A door that is sealed shut will immediately shove any items, creatures, or even players out of the way in the process of closing; there is no way to prevent the effect.
Normally it affects all doors and stairs in an 8-tile radius around the vault warden, but there is a tension mechanic that tries to avoid trapping dangerous monsters behind an affected door, and a door that the vault warden is standing in will not be affected.
The following enemies cast Seal Doors:
Opening or destroying a sealed door
The following can be utilized as a means of destroying a sealed door:
- Lugonu's Corrupt ability
- Fedhas' Overgrow ability
- Followers of Jiyva could spawn a jelly to eat a sealed door
Sealed staircases cannot be destroyed (and in any event that would be useless).
Sealed doors can, however, be opened by monsters, usually because they were aware of you but on the other side of the door when it closed. The tension mechanic makes this unlikely, and this destroys the seal. It is possible to leave via the door when this happens, but it is likely the vault warden will recast the spell soon.
- Prior to 0.22, Lee's Rapid Deconstruction could be used to destroy sealed doors.
- Prior to 0.20, wands of disintegration and Orb of Destruction could destroy doors.
- Prior to 0.13, Seal Doors was not able to seal stairways, and sealed doors could be affected by digging and disintegration.
- Seal Doors was added in 0.12 along with the vault wardens.