|An incredibly fast-moving bird, known for impaling its prey on shards of ice before tearing them to pieces. It has acclimated to the desolate wastes of Cocytus, and is enveloped with an accursed chill.|
Shard shrikes are durable, extremely aggressive animals which can be found either individually or in packs. These birds swarm their prey, slashing and impaling them with cold damage attacks. They are thankfully rare, only occurring in the depths of Cocytus.
Tips & Tricks
- As they're found in Cocytus, you'll likely have plenty of cold resistance by the time you encounter them. Don't let that fool you into thinking them harmless, however; they have absurdly high speed, and their constant Throw Icicle spells deal partially-irresistible damage and aren't stopped by Silence. A large group of shrikes can hit you with plenty of these in a fairly short amount of time.
- Unlike most enemies in Cocytus, shard shrikes are natural, living creatures, so holy damage will barely make a dent in them.
- They have surprisingly high HD, but only moderate willpower. Keep that in mind before trying to inflict them with status effects.
- Shard shrikes cannot see invisible, but unfortunately, the freezing cold of Cocytus means you can't use a potion to gain the effect. A scarf or other item with the ego can help give you an edge here -- mind the draining, though.
- Repel Missiles will certainly help keep you alive, if you have access to it.