|Reduces the chance of projectile attacks striking the caster, making them easier to dodge. Single-target attacks are much easier to repel than penetrating attacks. Each time a missile is repelled the spell has a chance of expiring, with a lower chance of expiry at high power.|
Repel Missiles (RMsl) is a status and monster-only spell which causes ranged attacks to miss the caster.
Repel Missiles reduces the to-hit of ranged attacks against the caster to a random value between:
- vs single-target beams: 0% - 100% of its normal value
- vs penetrating bolts: 50% - 100% of its normal value
Though the Repel Missiles spell is no longer available for players, several other sources exist for players to receive the effect:
- Scarves of repulsion provide the effect while worn.
- Worshipers of Qazlal will eventually acquire a permanent Repel Missiles effect, as long as they maintain enough piety.
- Demonspawn with the Repulsion Field mutation will eventually develop a permanent repel missiles effect.
- The Amulet of the Air is an unrandart amulet that produces a permanent repel missiles effect.
The following enemies cast Repel Missiles:
- e Deep elf archer
- e Deep elf elementalist
- Q Sojobo
- i Spriggan air mage
- i The Enchantress
- k Wind drake
This effect is quite valuable for protecting against ranged attacks, especially in the early Dungeon when your defenses are low and you might encounter centaurs (who have made pincushions of many a low-level player). Repel Missiles is useful while exploring the Shoals, the Elven Halls, the Vaults, and other areas infested with enemies who love to shoot at you.
Monsters with Repel Missiles are few and far between, with the status being noteworthy for the two unique monsters who have it. As you would expect, trying to hit them with a ranged attack will be quite difficult. They are still vulnerable to Hexes and hex wands, but most users have a high willpower, too. And of course, things that don't miss -- from spells like Borgnjor's Vile Clutch and Fireball to items like lightning rod and condenser vane -- are unaffected.
- Prior to 0.25, a more advanced version of Repel Missiles called Deflect Missiles existed. Monsters with DMsl instead got Repel Missiles.
- Prior to 0.20, Repel Missiles was a level 2 Air/Charms spell available to players. However, other sources still exist.
- Prior to 0.14, the Repel Missiles status expired based on a timer.
- beam.cc:2854 (0.28.0)