The Trowel card performs an action as shown below, if the player is not standing on a "critical feature" of the dungeon:
- Power level 0: 93% chance to create an altar to a random god, whereas if it doesn't create an altar the terrain at the player's feet will become an ordinary floor.
- Power level 1: One or other of the following (50% chance for each)
- Attempts to create a random hostile statue (equal chance of ice, orange crystal, or silver) and a random friendly golem (equal chance of clay, wood, stone, iron, crystal, or toenail), both in the player's immediate vicinity. These are permanent creatures and count for experience.
- Create a random decorative statue (equal chance of granite statue or orcish idol) in the player's immediate vicinity.
- Power level 2: Creates a random portal (one of a bailey, bazaar, labyrinth, ziggurat, or trove) at the player's feet. Each portal type can be generated by this card only once per game.