|| The Bailey is the still-occupied and well-guarded fortress of an orcish lord. The treasures within are protected by both physical barriers and large numbers of well armed humanoid warriors.
Bailey is a small portal vault with a medieval warfare theme. It often appears on the lower dungeon levels or in the Orcish Mines.
Baileys have many possible layouts, but all of them include some sort of a fortress and a weapon theme. Baileys are often built to reveal and exploit the player character's weaknesses, such as the lack of a ranged weapon.
Players should exercise extreme caution when entering a bailey. It is entirely possible to become overwhelmed by the enemies inside and end up using precious consumables to escape without gaining access to any of the treasure.
Baileys are most often filled with roaming bands of the following monsters:
Other monsters only appear in specific layouts, or as the "boss" defending the loot at the end:
- If you see lots of gnolls and polearms, expect to see some of these guys as well.
- Deep elves can be found in a certain bailey layout. Unless you are extremely well prepared (elemental resistances, some kind of protection from missiles), do not go in.
- If you see lots of open water, you are about to get attacked by centaurs... with javelins!
- If you start seeing these guys, you better have high magic resistance and a way to dispatch them quickly before they call in a bunch of demons.
- Found at the end of several baileys, these guys are a serious threat to any character. Try to fight them only after you've cleared the bailey of other monsters.
- Baileys generally have useful loot, especially for those wielding axes or polearms. Items usually consist of good weapons and armour, as well as rare potions and scrolls.
Tips & Tricks
- If you have a wand of polymorph, you can put it to good use here. Orc warriors may be good with arbalests, but wyverns certainly are not.