|| The Bailey is the still-occupied and well-guarded fortress of an orcish lord. The treasures within are protected by both physical barriers and large numbers of well armed humanoid warriors.
Bailey is temporary portal level with a medieval warfare theme. Many baileys are built around a castle theme, and some may exploit water to shoot Ranged Weapons at you.
Baileys may appear on Dungeon: 7-10. The portal is signaled by the "creaking of a portcullis".
Baileys are most often filled with roaming bands of the following monsters:
Other monsters only appear in specific layouts, or as the "boss" defending the loot at the end:
- If you see lots of gnolls and polearms, expect to see some of these guys as well.
- If you see lots of open water, you are about to get attacked by centaurs... with javelins!
- If you start seeing these guys, you better have high magic resistance and a way to dispatch them quickly before they call in a bunch of demons.
- Found at the end of several baileys, these guys are a serious threat to any character. Try to fight them only after you've cleared the bailey of other monsters.
- Baileys generally have useful loot, especially for those wielding axes or polearms. Items usually consist of good weapons and armour, as well as rare potions and scrolls.
Tips & Tricks
- Players should exercise caution when entering a bailey. It is entirely possible to become overwhelmed by the enemies inside and end up using precious consumables to escape without gaining access to any of the treasure.
- If you have a wand of polymorph, you can put it to good use here. Orc warriors may be good with arbalests, but wyverns certainly are not.
- Prior to 0.28, baileys could appear from D:7-14 and Orc:1. Also, many layouts were adjusted in this version.