|Dramatically increases the user's regeneration of magical power for a duration that increases with Invocations skill.|
Channeling is the act of passively restoring MP to a character, as opposed to using a single-turn action like the Sublimation of Blood spell to restore MP. There are two types: Active Channeling (which require the use of an activated ability), and Passive Channeling (which comes from equipment and happens without the player's input).
Djinn do not use MP and cannot make use of any form of channeling.
With the energy ego, when you successfully cast a spell, there's a 20% chance to have the full MP cost refunded. When you miscast a spell, you will always have MP refunded. However, it increases your raw spell failure chance by +10%. The crystal ball of Wucad Mu is double an orb of energy; with a 40% to refund MP, but +20% to raw spell failure. (For reference, the first stack of wizardry reduces raw spell failure by 25%.)
Note that this does not mean that your spell failure actually increases by +10% / +20%, as its modified by a function. See the Spell Success page for details. Generally, your actual chance for failure will increase by a number less than 10%/20%.
- In 0.30, passive channeling was reworked. Prior to this version, you had a
Sources * Evocations / 108(orb of energy: 2 sources ; staff of Wucad Mu: 3) to succeed. If you succeeded, you had a
1 / (Evocations - MP cost)to backfire, either draining 1-5 points of intelligence or inflicting confusion. As Wucad Mu is now an orb, you are physically unable to stack channeling.
- In 0.28, the ability to stack multiple sources of passive channeling was added, along with the orb of energy. Success rate per source decreased, but all items count towards multiple sources.
- Prior to 0.27, the staff of Wucad Mu's success rate was
Evocations / 81(buffed to
Evocations / 54), and backfiring did not refund MP.
- Prior to 0.26, you could actively channel magic by evoking a staff of energy; compared to other active channeling items, this provided fewer MP but could not backfire. The staff of Wucad Mu could also channel magic in this way.
- Prior to 0.25, a crystal ball of energy could be used as a high-risk way to restore MP, much like the staff of Wucad Mu.
- Prior to 0.24, Channel Magic was Sif Muna's *** ability.
- Prior to 0.19, Sif Muna instead granted Channel Energy, which was a repeatably usable ability, not a duration. With each use, it restored a small amount of MP (depending on Invocations skill) and cost hunger but no piety.