Not to be confused with damnation, which was previously known as hellfire.
Fire is one of the most common elemental forces you will encounter as you explore the Dungeon. Both players and monsters can take advantage of fire through spells or specially branded weapons, though some monsters also possess innate fire abilities.
Fire damage can only be reduced by a character's fire resistance (rF+) intrinsic. This is a relatively easy resistance type to acquire, and gaining even a single rank in it cuts damage received by half. With the maximum 3 ranks, you can almost ignore fire damage entirely.
Powerful fire damage attacks against bushes and trees may light them on fire, burning them down over time and causing them to deal fire damage to random adjacent spaces. This can create a chain reaction, burning down multiple trees or bushes, but usually burns out before spreading too far.
It is relatively easy for characters to gain access to sources of fire damage. Almost any character type can benefit from common flaming-branded weapons, which deal additional fire damage on top of their normal physical damage.
The Fire Magic school is also available to fire elementalists or any character with Spellcasting capabilities and an appropriate book. This school is devoted almost entirely to dealing damage, mostly through direct damage, but with a few subtle spells as well.
The fire resistance intrinsic significantly reduces the fire damage a defender takes when attacked, as shown on the chart below:
|Resistance Level||Damage Taken (Player)||Damage Taken (Monster)|
You can acquire fire resistance from a number of sources:
- Being a red draconian: rF+
- Heat Resistance mutation: rF+/rank
- The third rank of the Molten Scales mutation: rF+
- Fire dragon scales: rF++
- Gold dragon scales: rF+
- Armour of fire resistance: rF+
- Staff of fire: rF+
- Ring of protection from fire or ring of fire: rF+
- Tiamat's dragonskin cloak: for 50% of attacks, grants rF+
- Randarts: rF+, rF++ or rF+++
- Potion of resistance: rF+ among other resistances
- Dragon Form (except as a non-red draconian): rF++
Fire vulnerability causes you to take 150% normal damage from fire attacks, but is thankfully less common. You can acquire it by:
- Being a mummy
- Wearing ice dragon scales or a ring of ice
- Wearing an artefact with rF- or the Ice property
- Ice Form
Having multiple levels of fire vulnerability does not cause greater damage; it simply makes it more difficult to acquire fire resistance.
- Prior to 0.22, Dithmenos worshippers were forbidden from using fire spells, the flaming brand, and anything that caused fire. Dithmenos also granted additional piety for killing fire enemies.
- Prior to 0.19, damnation was called hellfire, and monster resistance to it also granted rF+++. Additionally, Dithmenos hated hellfire/damnation in addition to hating fire.
- Prior to 0.15, taking fire damage would also occasionally destroy scrolls in your inventory.